Night (Cherry)

It was 3:30 a.m. Cherry's eyelids felt heavy as they opened to see Joe. 'Wait where am I? Oh right I'm stuck with this oaf for the night.'

As Cherry was thinking he realised one of Joe's arms was rapped around his waist. He felt his face heat up.

'Oh my god what is he doing?! Did he do this on purpose?' He realised he probably did it in his sleep. He had to admit he did like being this close. 'I wish this was just normal for us...but it can't really be, I mean he's straight so it would never happen anyway'.

He was well aware by now that he liked Joe. It had started when Adam moved away to America. He remembered the exact day he first felt it. The butterflies he got in his stomach.

He was skating with Joe in some skatepark. He was starting to feel hungry and he knew there was a food truck nearby so he went to go get some food.

He left Joe in the skate park and turned the corner to the street where the food truck normally was. He had gotten his food when he turned to see some guys from Adam's old gang. They were much bigger and taller than him. He didn't stand a chance.

"Hey there pretty boy, nice board you got there. Mind if I take a look?" one of them had asked him. "No thanks," Cherry had said and walked past him. The thug pulled him back and grabbed his board. "I don't take no for an answer bud." He tugged at the board. Cherry's grip was firm and he wouldn't let go.

"Look pal, I just want to see your deck and you can walk away fine," he had said with a sly smile. "I said no." Cherry said and pulled away from the thug. "I'm just tryna- Cherry punched him. "OW!" The thug had yelled. "Boys, get 'em!" He pointed at Cherry.

The thugs started to attack him. He was punched in the face several times and them pushed to the ground. One of them picked up his board and the leader of the group grabbed the collar of his shirt.

"This is what you get for messing with me and making Adam leave us!" He raised his fist. Cherry braced himself. Suddenly he was pushed out of the way and the thug had been pulled away from him.

"Leave him alone! We had no part in Adam leaving. It was his decision you prick!" It was Joe. He grabbed Cherry's board from the thug and punched the leader before pushing him to the ground. "Don't come near us again you son of a bitch!".

And that's when Cherry had first felt it. The butterflies in his stomach. It had felt like he was flying. Like all that mattered in the world in that moment was him and Joe.

Joe turned around and kneeled down next to Cherry frantically trying to stop the blood that was seeping from his nose. " Kaoru are you okay?" He had asked, panic in his eyes.
The only words Cherry could get out were "yeah...thanks".

He had felt those same butterflies before his race with Adam when he was talking to Joe and after that race when Joe had held him in his arms and ran to ask if he was okay again. 'God why do I always get butterflies when I'm injured'

Cherry let out a small chuckle as he drifted off to sleep again.