one

CW: (Slight Cursing!!!!!)

"Huy, Xine. Gising," Loisse calls out surreptitiously while softly prodding the other's arm with her index finger. Maxine's head rises from her desk, regardless of what's happening at the moment.

She groans, complaining, "Ano...?"

"Look," A tall figure is visible when Loisse extends her index finger towards the white board. Up until this point, Maxine's vision is bleary, and she feels extremely languid.

"My name's Augustus Jeon, but I go by Gus a lot. I'll be joining this class from now on. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all." The tall figure standing in front introduces himself.

Maxine was going off into space but she makes out the man's name inside her head. Augustus Jeon. There was a part of Maxine that thought this man was orphic. She wasn't able to read the man's thoughts with that blank expression-which led Maxine into believing that this man had something more to reveal.

"Augustus Jeon..." Maxine murmurs to herself, but Loisse in the next seat could clearly hear her.

"Oh ano? In love kana naman?" Loisse kids.

"Tanga. Familiar kasi yung name."

"Sus! Ako pa biruin mo. You like him." Loisse chuckles.

"Gago ka ba?" Maxine blurts out, unaware that she somewhat raised her voice, making all heads to turn, including the teacher's.

"Miss Chavez and Miss Basilio. Would you also like to introduce yourselves in front of the class?" The teacher calls out, sneeringly.

"No, ma'am" The embarrassment creeps up on them both and its made a hundred times worse with the fact that they now have pairs of eyes from the entire class staring at them. "Tumahimik ka kasi. Hinayupak." Maxine chuckled lightly. "Kasalanan mo 'to ah." Loisse grinned as she rolled her eyes at her. They'd gotten into the habit of pestering each other until one of them-or both of them-got in trouble.

Maxine looks over at the teacher but instead finds herself watching Augustus as he walks towards his seat, which happens to be two seats behind hers.

"Iba talaga kapag may crush na new student ah." Loisse nudges Maxine, snorting.

"Hindi nga ako in love sabi!" She says, in a whisper but a little loud. "Ang familiar talaga ng mukha niya, Loisse."

"Edi, kausapin mo. Malay mo baka kilala ka din. You never know 'til you try."

Class was dismissed when the school bell rang. Except for Maxine, though, who was called by her teacher to stay.

"Class is dismissed, Miss Chavez stay for a while. I have to talk to you" The teacher says, and Maxine feels her heart miss a beat as she hears her name uttered. She looks over at Loisse, who is chuckling to herself. Maxine frowns at her, "Mamaya ka sa'kin," she mouths. Loisse kept laughing. "Kita tayo sa mess hall mamaya ha?" Maxine nodded in response. Loisse exits the room for Maxine and Mrs. Restauro to talk alone with each other.

"Miss Chavez, I have a favor to ask you," Maxine freezes as she hears the teacher speak. Maxine always seemed nervous when speaking with teachers. She finds it unpleasant being called by the teachers. This usually only drives her to assume that she might be in trouble when she actually isn't.

"Ah... Ano po 'yun?" She smiled, uncomfortably. "I introduced Augustus Jeon to the class kanina. You've seen him right? I want you to show him around campus after class." Maxine froze at the teacher's request. She wasn't even sure whether she had the right to take on this responsibility; Campus Tours at their school are often led by class officials, and Maxine wasn't one of them. And two, how does she even avoid being awkward with this man? She is afraid of his pokerface, his towering figure, and his somber way of speaking-his aura in general!
Maxine had a hunch that if she decided to get in touch with Augustus, the worst could happen. She didn't want things to go wrong, but she was also skeptical of her own judgment.

"Miss Chavez?" Mrs. Restauro raises her brow at the Maxine's lack of response. "Ahh..." She grits her teeth, hesitating to grant Mrs. Restauro's favor.

Fuck it. She takes on the job regardless. She could care less about what happens to her and Augustus. If this could bring a smile to her teacher's face and a higher mark on her report card, she'd kill for it.