ONE

Camille was jolted awake by the tinny sound of her ancient alarm clock, her heart pounding as if she didn't wake up this way every single morning

Camille was jolted awake by the tinny sound of her ancient alarm clock, her heart pounding as if she didn't wake up this way every single morning. She slammed her hand down onto the clock in a futile attempt to get it to shut up. She didn't want to do this today. She wanted to roll over and go back to sleep. But she couldn't, not if she wanted to actually live to see graduation. She sighed softly before sitting up and making the effort to actually turn her alarm clock off, freeing herself from its shrill beeping.

"One more day, Camille. One more day and then he's gone for a week," she muttered to herself under her breath as she dragged herself out of bed and towards the wall that connected her room to her twin brother's before knocking on it. "Travis, twenty minutes then we're leaving," she called out, earning a grunt from her brother on the other side of the wall. Today was going to be a long day, she could tell already.

She sighed softly as she plodded over to her wardrobe, pulling out the outfit she had picked out the previous night. It wasn't anything special. It didn't need to be. School wasn't some fashion show for her in the same way it was for some of the girls in her grade. It was merely a means to an end, and she just wanted to fade away into the background.

As she changed into her clothes for the day, Camille glanced at herself in the mirror and nodded. "Good enough." She grabbed her hairbrush and ran it through her hair a few times until it looked presentable. She then grabbed her backpack from its spot beside her desk and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

"Morning, mija!" Her mother called out as Camille entered the kitchen, grabbing a slice of toast that had been left on the side most likely by her father. "You ready for the pep rally today? Your father was buzzing when he left." She asked as she turned to look at her daughter from where she was stood over the stove slaving over some concoction that Camille knew was best not to question.

"That's today?" Camille teased as she leaned against the kitchen counter. "Didn't realize, it's not like he mentioned it a thousand times last night." She added, earning a slight laugh from her mother. "But yeah, I'll be there, front row. I think both Dad and Anika would murder me if I wasn't."

"Try and get Travis to go for me?" Her mother asked as Camille sighed biting her lip, of course her mom would ask her to do that. "I know you guys and your father don't exactly have the best relationship in the world but it would mean the world to him if you could get Travis to go." She spoke softly as Camille nodded. She would try but she wasn't going to promise anything. Her relationship with her dad wasn't good by any means but Travis' relationship with him was nearly non existent. "Thank you." She smiled softly as Travis trudged into the room, followed close behind by their younger brother Javi. "Morning boys."

"Morning." Travis grumbled under his breath before taking Camille's slice of toast from her and finishing it off. She didn't say anything about it though, Travis could get away with murder in her eyes quite honestly and everybody knew it.

"Morning!" Javi smiled, the complete opposite of his older brother. He went to say something else but was cut off quickly by the sound of Travis heading out the front door, slamming it hard behind him. The smile faded from Javi's features making Camille's heart hurt a little as she reached out wrapping an arm around her younger brother.

"Morning bub." She smiled softly as she pressed a soft kiss to his head. "I'll pick you up about 3 for the pep rally." She told him with a nod before glancing over at her mom seeing the sad look in her eyes. It wasn't easy. Their family dynamic was not ideal in the slightest and it seemed to get worse by the day, Travis' disagreements with their father seemed to be effecting his relationship with everybody other than Camille. She didn't particularly like their dad either, but she tried at the very least. "I better go before he leaves without me." She sighed giving both her mom and her brother a wave before heading out of the house after Travis.