006 | ʳᵉᵍʳᵉᵗˢ

CHAPTER SIX

Regrets

[₀₀₆]

song: I Aint' Worried - One Republic

⟵⌖⟶

"I aint' worried bout' it."

𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄 𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐓 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐊 the next day to discover that there were no pilots ready to fly the planes. Cyclone was enraged, racing around questioning everyone in his path regarding Maverick's location. She looked for Hondo, but he, like the pilots, was nowhere to be seen.

The woman wished Maverick had informed her about his disappearing plan so she might have avoided the stress in the office from the admirals. She'd been wandering through Top Gun's corridors, studying the portraits and badges adorning the walls, mementoes of the grounds' history.

Heavy footsteps were approaching her. When she looked around, she noticed an enraged Cyclone approaching her. She was preparing for a lecture, rant, or both. She was met, though, with a lopsided smile.

"Engineer Ruth." Cyclone acknowledged the woman, causing her to shift her attention to the next words he spoke. "Admiral, sir." Colette admitted she was partly afraid she was going to hear something unpleasant. "Because we don't have any pilots here, I'm dismissing you and your crew early for the day." Cyclone explained.

Colette's eyes widened slightly before closing them, as if it were a twitch. "Thank you very much, sir." Colette praised before the man walked away from her, his fists clenched. He was clearly upset about not knowing where his aviators were. Colette walked into her office, collecting up her belongings before feeling a buzz from her phone.

Penny reported that the pilots had arrived at the beach outside the Hard Deck. Colette smiled slightly, knowing it was one of Maverick's brilliant ideas. That explains why Hondo couldn't be found. He did have to keep an eye on Maverick like a babysitter.

« ✵ » 

𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄 𝐆𝐎𝐓 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐀𝐑 and started strolling towards the sand, feeling the sun on her back. Penny caught her attention from a distance, sitting on a seat outside the Hard Deck preparing some stock. Colette grinned before waving back and walking in her direction. Dressing for the beach, she changed into denim shorts and a white T-shirt.

She set her keys on the bench and took a seat across from Penny, her flip-flops besides her. Her hair was cascading down her back. "Hey Pen," Colette said, looking over at the aviators as they began their game of dog fight football.

"Hello, Ettie. "How was it on base this morning?" Penny's enquiries elicited an angry expression from Colette. "Oh, you know, an enraged admiral on a rampage, questioning everyone as if we were on Law and Order." Colette informs the woman, eliciting a laugh.

"Oh no." Penny manages to get out before bursting out laughing. "That's because of Maverick." So I've got an issue with him." Colette says before laughing. The whole thing was a little amusing. Maverick walked up to the two women seated on the bench.

"Colette, it's good to see you." Maverick says, smiling innocently at the woman. "Colette raised her eyebrows at the man. "A little heads up would have been great, Maverick.", this causes the man's smile to falter slightly. "It was a last-minute decision." But you're right; I should have warned you." Maverick replies moving towards Penny and her water bottle, resting a hand on Colette's shoulder.