Chapter 6

"Poor Harvey," Andi murmurs with a shake of her head.

I stabbed at my kale and spinach salad with a fork, unable to get rid of the cloud of sadness looming over me. Seeing Harvey bed ridden and unconscious at the hospital broke my heart.

I told Sam what happened shortly after I left the hospital. Even though I left him a voicemail, -since he didn't pick up when I called- he shot me a "send my condolences" an hour later as if Harvey were already gone.

I didn't reply back after that, too upset and in no mood to get into it with my husband. Again.

"His daughter Thalia seems cool," my friend said, trying to lighten the mood.

"She is. Though I'm not sure about her brother."

"I thought you said Harvey's son wasn't at the hospital?"

"He wasn't. Steven-" I finally learned the name of Thalia's husband. "-kept trying to get a hold of him, but he didn't answer."

"Maybe he doesn't get along with his dad," Andi theorized, dipping a golden french fry into her ketchup.

I shrugged. Harvey's never mentioned him before. Though if they don't get along, I wonder why. Harvey is such a sweet soul that I couldn't see anyone ever hating him.

"So, who's going to be your chauffeur now that Harvey is in the hospital and probably won't be able to work for you again?"

I shrugged my shoulders a second time. With everything that had happened, I hadn't given myself the time to think about that.

I could always just drive myself. I mean, I do have a driver's license. But knowing Sam, that will end up being a whole other argument.

"I'll look into a new hire tomorrow."

The words 'new hire' left a bitter, acidic taste in my mouth. I didn't want anyone new. And I know for a fact that Everly won't either. She's going to be crushed when she finds out about Harvey.

"But right now, I want you to tell me how your shoot went."

Andi clasped her hands together, her face lighting up as she began telling me about all the fun outfits she got to wear.

Apparently, the designer clothing belonged to a fashion icon in London. She had seen a few of Andi's photos on a fashion magazine she was reading and decided she would be the perfect fit to help promote her new clothing line.

"You have no idea how honored I was when she called me directly," she explained.

"Did you pee a little?"

" I totally did."

We both laughed at that.

"I'm glad you had a fun shoot."

A smile that I knew all too well appeared on her face. And I knew exactly what she was about to ask me. She's been begging me ever since she found out I had a sexy little Spanish body under all the baggy clothes I wear.

"No," I said immediately before she could get the words out.

She huffed, pushing her lips out into a pout. "You're no fun."

"I'm sorry, but cameras intimidate me."

"But it would be so much fun to do a shoot together. You have way too hot of a body to be keeping it all to yourself."

The thing is, Andi doesn't want to just do any shoot. She wants to do a lingerie shoot. And I am not doing that.

"I'm not keeping it to myself," I protest. "Sam's seen my body plenty of times."

"So have I," she quips, a grin playing on her lips.

"Exactly. You and Sam are enough."

Andi sighed, nibbling on another fry she picked up from her half-eaten plate. It still amazes me how much she consumes and how little she gains. And if she does gain, it goes straight to her ass. Everytime. It's like the fat knows nowhere else is acceptable.

"Speaking of Sam, you think after being married for seven and together for eleven that he would know how to properly satisfy a woman."

I knew I shouldn't have told her that.

I dropped my head into my hand, embarrassed because the young college couple at the table in the booth behind Andi heard her. And now they know my husband doesn't know how to satisfy me.

I don't necessarily blame him for it. Sex isn't what it used to be for us. But at the same time, I'm starting to forget what an orgasm by a man feels like. I miss it. That feeling of pure euphoria.

"Sorry, boo," she said with an apologetic expression when she realized she had been a little too loud. She then brought her voice down to a whisper, leaning forward. "I just don't get how you go through life like this. Reuben never fails to make this kitty purr."

"Ew. Never say that again."

She shrugged. "It's the truth, Celeste. You deserve to be fucked like the dirty little whore you are."

"Thanks?"

This conversation was taking a disturbing turn and I wasn't sure I wanted to hear whatever speech Andi was attempting and failing -miserably- to give me.

"I'm serious." She stopped eating her fries, her neat, dark brows lowering on her face to emphasize her seriousness. "If Sam doesn't get it together, someone else will come along, and they will give you everything he can't."

I gave her words some thought. I've been with Sam practically my entire life. I didn't know anyone else besides him. So I have no one else to compare him to, which I've found to be both a blessing and a curse.

I've never thought about whether or not there was more out there for me. That there could possibly be someone better than Sam.

Is there someone-

No!

I shouldn't think like that. Ever. I love Sam. And just like any marriage, we go through rough patches. That rough patch may be a little longer than others, but we'll get through it. I hope.

The sound of our waitress' small voice breaks me from my thoughts. I didn't hear anything she said other than 'desserts'.

So I looked over at Andi. Despite not knowing what the waitress asked, 'desserts' was all I needed to hear to make my stomach grumble in response.

"Two slices of your apple pie, please," Andi told the waitress.

"Two?" I questioned, still looking at my best friend.

Andi tore her gaze from the waitress. "You know damn well you're not going to want to share with me."

"You're right. Two is fine. Thank you."

The waitress smiled and left. And while we waited for our dessert, we somehow ended up talking about Harvey again. I have to pick my daughter up from school in a couple of hours. She's going to be wondering where Harvey is when I arrive. I'm not prepared for how upset she's going to be.