Chapter 2 - a whole new world

I am finally able to see now that the light died down, but I saw the boundaries the entire time. It was like they wrapped a protective barrier around us and then forced us through a gap between the boundaries. After that, I caught a small glimpse of some form of extra dimension before we were pulled through another gap that put us in some form of religious building. I knit my brows as I think of what I just saw. It was something that should be impossible, but I witnessed it entirely. Something or someone forced us from one place to another using boundaries.

“Welcome to Tortus, Hero-sama and his companion. We were expecting you. I am the currently appointed Pope of the Saint’s Church, you may address me as Ishtar Lombard. Let’s get along from now on, no need to exchange conventional greetings.”

I come out of my thoughts as an old man in robes and holding a staff comes forward to greet us. He said 'welcome to Tortus', so given I've never heard of any place named Tortus and the strange movement through the boundaries, I can assume this is another world. He soon guides us to a dining room where we are soon served food by maids. The boys of the class had perverted faces staring at the maids, causing the girls to send glares their way.

“That… I’m sure you are all confused. I will explain the situation first, I ask of everyone to listen to everything I had to say until the end.”

The Pope then explains the world we find ourselves in. It's essentially a fantasy world with humans, demons and demi-humans as the intelligent races. Humans are in the north, demons rule the south, and finally the demi-humans hide away in the wilderness to the east. The humans and demons are at war, and has mostly kept a balanced fight because of the vast population that the humans have over the demons, but now the demons have learned to tame magic beasts causing the balance to tilt heavily towards the demons. Magic beasts were thought to be from animals that in one way or another absorbed magic power into their body. It was unknown if they are living creatures, but as they all could use powerful unique magic, they are strong and ferocious.

“The one who has summoned you here was ‘Ehit-sama’. He is the Protector God that we Humans worship, the one and only god in the Saint’s Church. He is the Supreme God that created this world. Perhaps Ehit-sama had already noticed. If this continues, the Humans will face extinction. You had been summoned to prevent this outcome. The world you come from is ranked higher than ours, every one of you here should possess exceptional power in this world without a doubt. Before the summon took place, Ehit-sama passed down an oracle; You are the “salvation” that he sent to us. You must bring out your innate powers, by the will of Ehit-sama, overthrow the Demons, and save us mankind!”

I don't like this one bit. This Ehit person seems to be able to control boundaries in some way, and he used this power to force others from one world to another just so some highschool kids could fight in a war. Even if the yokai that my ancestors wrote about exist, then I doubt they would be so cruel. Even if a yokai brought someone to another world for their enjoyment then it wouldn't be to put them into a war. Yokai are mostly tricksters and pranksters, to do something like this would be akin to a prankster killing someone just to tell the deceased's loved ones that 'It was just a prank, bro.' To a yokai, the mere act of bringing someone from one world to another would be the prank, and wouldn't force the person to do something that they didn't want to do afterwards. The only exception is the few who are young, and feed on humans. These few wouldn't prank their targets to such a degree, because of the investment to reward ratio being too large of a gap. This leaves me with the only conclusion that this 'Ehit-sama' is a true monster with little other descriptors being sufficient.

“Please don’t joke around! In the end, all you want is for these children to participate in a war! That kind of thing is absolutely out of question! En, as a teacher, I will absolutely not allow such a thing! Let us go back immediately! Surely, their families must be worried! What you are doing now is merely kidnapping!”