22: Suck It and See (or Never Know)

♆♆♆

"This is irresponsible, Selina," came Bruce's chaste voice. "She's a civilian; you can't involve her in this on a whim."

Selina looked up at him through long lashes, letting out a short puff of breath before responding. "She's no civilian, and we both know that."

"We know virtually nothing about her. Civilian until proven otherwise, and she's done no such thing," Bruce gruffed. He adjusted his seating on their bed, moving a pillow to support his aching back. Beside him, Selina tucked one leg under another, laying on her side with her head propped up by her hand.

"A civilian wouldn't have blown through that simulator I put her through. A civilian doesn't have scars like her. A civilian doesn't have that look in their eyes." In all honesty, Percy had done fantastic on the agility course and the fight simulator, something seldom accomplished by anyone outside of their unconventional family. Selina softens her voice, her hand drifts from its perch on her hip to cup the slowly growing bump on her stomach. "You had eyes like hers--have, they haven't changed--you want something, need something from this world."

Bruce doesn't reply, instead, he tugged at his grey silk sheets with fastidious attention.

"Bruce," Selina sighs, "You're right. We know next to nothing about Percy, but what I do know is that she could use a change of pace. You've never known monotony, and I don't think she has either until now. She brought it up. I think she needs this."

A beat of silence passed before Bruce's response, the ticking of their cat-shaped clock heightened the pressure behind the passing seconds. "I don't want her to be like the rest. She doesn't need to live this life, so why push it onto her?"

"Why push it onto any of them?"

"Dick was the one who pushed himself into it, leaping into the costume and flipping his way to a life of vengeance. Jason... Jason didn't deserve all of this but I had thought he could handle it, I thought it would help him. Tim saw a role that needed taking and filled in that gap. And Damian, well it was vigilanteism or assassination for him. Cass had already lived that life. Percy, though, doesn't have to do this. She's still at a point where she can turn back: focus on her grades, and her friends, and her life. She should have a life, not be spoon-fed my thoughts on justice."

"You had a choice, too. Look at the life a grieving child chose, and tell me you regret it."

A look flashed across Bruce's eyes, and Selina knew he understood. Bruce's life would not be what it is (a house full of ruckus and life, half a dozen kids running around, a loving fiancee, a renewed understanding of the inner workings of the world, and peace within himself) without him having chosen his life as a vigilante.

Bruce refused to speak once more, leaving the clock's ticking to stretch the time endlessly. Selina turned in their bed and shimmed under the covers. Her hand hovered over the light switch.

"It's only temporary, Kitten. If she decides she wants to back out, her nine-month-long trial run can expire. If not, then I'm sure you'll understand, Batman."

Selina clicked off the lights, leaving a resolute silence in the room.

♆♆♆

p.s. short chapter but i forgot what i originally wanted to do with this chapter, so you get a filler. arctic monkeys title + dialouge heavy = happy robin

comment, talk to me, im bored (my bf just left me forever [two weeks] because he hates me [trip with his dad] and never wants to see me again [is eagerly awaiting our next meeting])

love you lots, have a great summer