Chapter 34: The Braves' Pyre

Hello There 😶‍🌫️
_____________________________________________________

In the middle of an open field, at the north, outside the town of Wëhlms, more than a thousand people had gathered to attend the massive funeral pyre – The Braves' Pyre. Ron could not help but whistle at the sight.

Ron: [whistles] that's a lot of people. Almost everyone from the town is here.

Bellona, who was standing beside him, chuckled and spoke.

Bellona: it is to be expected. Everyone in town treated each other like family.

She then looked at Ron and examined his red and black colored attire.

Bellona: you look quite nice.

Ron: [smiles] thank you. Aife had it tailored for me.

Bellona smiled then noticed he was carrying a basket filled with hundreds of white flowers and pink roses.

Bellona: those flowers. Are they for the funeral?

Ron: [smiles] yes, they are. White Lilies and Pink Roses. In my ‘kingdom’, a flower has a deep meaning.

Bellona: [curious] they have meaning? Then can you tell what those two flowers mean?

Ron: [nods] ‘White Lilies’ are often chosen for both weddings and funerals, as they symbolize rejuvenation of the soul. They represent purity, innocence, commitment and rebirth, which is why they're often chosen as Sympathy Flowers.

Bellona: [intrigued] and the Pink Roses?

Ron: the ‘Pink Roses’ represents gratitude and grace, appreciation and admiration. They're the perfect choice for the people you appreciate most, like your friends, siblings or teachers. Pink roses also represent femininity and elegance, perfect for events like engagement celebrations, fancy galas and baby showers for a baby girl.

Bellona: baby shower?

Ron: [shrugs] a celebration held for a woman who is expecting a child. Friends and relatives bring gifts for the baby. It's to show emotional support for the mother, as well as to bring together a lot of the items needed to take care of a baby as gifts to the new mother.

Bellona: so it is simply a celebration for the conception or birth of one's child then.

Ron: yep.

Bellona: [smiles] that sounds wonderful.

Ron looks at the hundreds of unlit pyres as people continue to add more firewood to it.

Ron: can I ask you something?

Bellona: yes?

Ron: how does the Braves' Pyre start and end?

Bellona: oh, it's quite simple. First, we mourn and pay respects to the fallen. Then Arthur will give an honoring speech about their deeds and sacrifice. Next, the high priestess will recite a solemn prayer for them and to the goddess. After that, The Kindling, we light the pyres and witness their ascension to V'halla. And finally, we indulge ourselves in a great feast honoring them.

Ron: interesting practice.

Bellona: it is. But not all follow it; some would just bury their dead in tombs or cemeteries.

Ron: does the Kriemhildr bury their dead too?

Bellona: [shakes head] no. But my family, House Brynhildr does. We have crypts beneath our estate. What of your kin?

Ron: my kin?

Bellona: [nods] yes. Does your kin, your people. Do they bury or burn their dead?

Ron: [shrugs] similar to yours actually. Some would bury their dead and some just burn them in pyres.