... Is to feel super Indian

It's been a week since that. Jaya wakes up in her blue tank top and shorts. She takes a good selfie using the tips she read and posts it on Instagram before she gets up. She dresses in her anarkali suit for this celebration Sherman Oaks High is hosting.

"You look amazing, Jaya," Nalini praises as she helps her with her jewelry and she puts a turquoise gem between her eyebrows

"You look amazing, Jaya," Nalini praises as she helps her with her jewelry and she puts a turquoise gem between her eyebrows. "Identical to Saavani, I continue to say."

Jaya smiles. "Thank you!"
🌸🌸🌸🌸

"Oh, God," Devi says once they're at the school. "Aunties approaching," she warns. "Don't look."

Jaya slips away to go talk to more Indians and Kamala chuckles. She didn't want to be approached and criticized by the Aunties because of her mother's death, and her father's. She goes inside and she watches the dance.

"So beautiful," Jaya says. "The dance and the music."

"I agree," an Indian boy says. "I'm Aarav Patel."

"Jaya Singh," Jaya says. "I always loved celebrating our heritage. Me and my mom always had our own celebration when she was alive. I'm Indian and I'm proud. I just don't want to marry one."

"I can understand that,"Aarav replies. "I'm a proud Indian, too."

Jaya smiles at him and they talk some more. Jaya takes her shoes off when she enters the school and she rings the bell above the door. She grabs some food and she goes to the hallways to eat alone after she prays; she prayed for getting into college, any college, she prayed to grow confident, to grow out of her depression and not because of Paxton, to move on from Saavani's death.

Now she's eating alone in the hallway. The Gods didn't take her anxiety away as fast as she'd have liked to.

"Why are you out here alone?"

Jaya looks up and she sees Paxton standing over her. She was so into the curry that she didn't even notice the shadow.

"Too many people," Jaya admits. "So I decided to eat alone."

"I read somewhere that Indian parents arrange husbands for their daughters," Paxton says as he sits beside her.

"I don't have any parents so I'm good," Jaya replies. "My Auntie Nalini knows that I won't accept that from anyone besides my mother. She was my best friend." She exhales slowly. "This Indian appreciation event is making me think a lot about her."

"What was she like?"

"My mother was the best person ever," Jaya says, not knowing her Auntie is listening. "She owned a clinic and people loved her. She was always real good with people. We lived alone in an apartment above her clinic. I... I found her after my last day of eight grade, a few hours before graduation. ,y friend was with me. She was cold. She had died that morning after I went to school. She was sick forever and I had no idea. She didn't tell me."

"Parents will do anything and keep anything away for and from their kids to protect them," Paxton says 

"I know," Jaya replies.

"Jaya," Nalini says softly. "It's time to go."

"I'll see you at school, Pax," Jaya says softly and she gets up.

"You look very pretty in that," Paxton says.

"Thank you." Jaya walks away with Nalini.

"You finally talked about Saavani," Nalini says.

"I did." Jaya smiles. "It felt good to talk about her, Auntie."

Nalini wraps an arm around hers and they walk.