~The Days Spent Wandering~

Her face was lifted towards the sky in resolution. Moments passed and the wind on the sandy landscape blew through her hair.

The verdict of the situation: A rescue mission. And yet here she was enjoying the grotesque beauty. A true wonder in how they survived the harsh environment and were still standing on two feet.

Behind her, the gusts fitted the loose shirt to her form. When the winds ceased, she felt a breath on her neck. She knew it was time to let it all go. They had a mission after all.

She took one more moment as warm arms snaked around her middle and a soft whisper in her ear sent chills down her spine.

"We have to go, y/n. It's now or never." You nodded, sinking back into Thomas's embrace.

"C'mon love," Newt called from further away.

Sighing, you begrudgingly made your way to the camp as you packed for the long journey. The majority of the items had been lost or beyond repair so there was minimal packing to do. This was all Teresa's fault. You had seen her standing on that cliff everyday, watching for the bergs to fly over the horizon and cause panic in the small camp. Now it was just down to a group of ten or so. The rest killed in the skirmish.

It was time to journey on anyways, because you had some digging to do before you could do any rescuing.

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

After months of careful planning and traveling, and some extremely lucky finds, the mission was about to be put into action.

Your group had found an old WCKD facility, full of useful items. Radios, walkie-talkies, working vehicles, rations, and even a destroyed berg! Though it was not up to functioning anymore, Jorge said he could use the parts to fix up the other cars. You trusted him with your life, as did he.

It seemed to be made early on into the stages of the Flare. When not a lot of people were infected but enough to have camps where people could safely stay while working towards the cure. And seemed to have only been abandoned after major conflict. You were surprised it wasn't crawling with those monsters. Cranks, you call them.

The first night there was restless. The aching of your body after walking for so long combined with the constant fear of the unknown was almost unbearable.

Newt came to your bedside after you had had your first good meal in a while with the rations you had discovered. He huddled around you to keep the both of you warm. Not that that was much of a problem, but it eased your nerves to know someone was there with you. Someone you could trust. Unlike her...

He seemed to have something on his mind, but you were tired and so you promised yourself you'd ask in the morning.

You stared at the makeshift doorway for hours, the piece of cloth swaying in the wind. The howling of the desert sounding like cranks.

You forced your eyes to stay open until it was nearly impossible, and by then, the wind had died down enough to stop your terrified mind from thinking of the mutilated monsters even more.

You fell asleep in his arms, not without difficulty, but Newt seemed more at ease as well to be resting with you. He was glad just having you there. It had been a hard few months. It would be even harder once you put your plan into action.

He hoped you would take care of yourself, and you hoped that nobody got hurt or bitten. That was the last thing everyone needed.

And while you lay there, Thomas was fighting off bad dreams. Yet you knew Newt would be too if you hadn't been there to help him fall asleep. Was it bad that you went to him instead?

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

A long while after your eyes had drifted shut, a singular image came to mind. No dreams, just one image.

It depicted a lady with black hair and striking blue eyes. As well as a boy, seemingly running but frozen still. A gage was on his arm, taking his vitals you presumed and in your tired mind you wondered what it was. Then it clicked.

"y/n," Teresa's voice taunted in the back of your mind.

"Y/N," it echoed in hatred. The volume raising each time it was said until your eyes snapped open.

You panted as you sat up with such a start it almost threw you off of the bed. "Woah, woah, woah, hey!" Newt's voice cut through your mind.

"They have him, Newt. They have him!"

"Who? Who has him?"

"Teresa," you stammered. Not scared but furious.

"Minho? Teresa has Minho?"

You curled you arms around your legs and held yourself. You nodded as wet tears fell down the apples of your cheeks, washing the dust away in streams.

"It was a dream," Newt said gently. "We're going to get him back, don't worry."

"What if what we're planning isn't good enough? What if he's not on the train?!" you asked softly, you wanted Minho back as much as they did. But it had taken so long just to find the trains that your dad spoke of.

"We just have to trust in ourselves and our teammates and get to the train first. Then we'll find Minho," Newt resolved. You nodded into his side as he squeezed you into him with an arm around your shoulders.

"What did you see?" he whispered, almost inaudible.

"They were testing him, like some kind of lab animal. Teresa was there. I didn't see much, it was a still image. But her voice..." You trailed off, and your eyes turned glassy as you realized the voice must've been your interpretation of Newt trying to wake you up. You never wanted her to take over your mind this much. Newt would always be there, never hurtful like Teresa's voice, but kind and loving. Loving... Longing...

In response to this, Newt just pulled you in even tighter, laying back and massaging your head as you both tried to comfort each other into sleeping again.

Eventually, it worked.

──────────────────

1043 words

Nothing much has happened yet but I promise you it's coming!!

I also added a bit more minor details while I was checking for mistakes. I'll do another check once I post the second chapter.