~The Last City~

You listened as the screams of cranks grew further away. The tunnel turned to daylight, and in your hazy vision it was so bright you had to cover your eyes. Brenda was watching behind the truck carefully for signs of any more of those creatures.

Newt and Thomas swung back into the car as they watched the tunnel melt into the skyline around them.

"You good?" Thomas asked Newt. "Yeah, y/n?" Newt looked towards you.

"I'll be okay." You nodded to give reassurance but Newt's eyes grew a bit wider as the drapes on the car windows blocked the sun and you lowered your hands from your eyes.

"Okay? Love, that is not okay! Did that happen when Fry crashed the car?" The boy mentioned was currently catching his breath in the way back behind Thomas and Newt.

"It's fine," you swatted Newt's hand away.

"Y/n. Your head is bleeding," Thomas concernedly told you.

"Oh. Is that why my head feels fuzzy?" you asked, going into a slight haze. The two boys could tell something was off.

"Hey! Clover, snap out of it!" Thomas hurriedly snapped in front of your face. He could see the lack of focus in your eyes.

"Love, please!" Newt grabbed your hands and you jolted for a moment. "She hit her head too hard," he mumbled.

"Try and get her to lie down, it's a long drive. Dig out the water and drink some but make sure to wash off some of the blood if you can as well," Jorge ordered from the front seat.

So, here you were lying on Thomas's lap. Just like that day in the Glade. It had been such a long time since then but you were imagining the trees and the whispery breeze on your skin. The bright blue sky above. The sunlight not being overly bright, and Thomas's breathing beside you. He was telling you that it was calm. And it was, but not in the same way as the sheltered life you had lived between the walls of the Maze.

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

"Love, there you are..." Newt sounded relieved as you woke from your daydream. "You were unconscious for a few minutes there, are you feeling better?"

You lifted your head to see the blonde haired boy that was talking to you. "I think so," you started to say.

"That's good," Thomas gave you a handsome smile as you lay back on his lap. His hand pet your head and combed through your hair. Newt had propped your feet on his lap for lack of a better place. Mostly to get the blood flowing to your head again as well. Hitting your head could end up nasty, but your injury didn't seem too bad. Just momentary confusion and dizziness. After waking up, you were coherent and drank some water as well as eating some rations with the others. Everyone had been out on the road for a while anyways. Not just after the tunnel experience but hours before it.

Eventually, Jorge spoke up. "I'm impressed. You guys almost lasted a whole day."

Brenda turned around in her seat. All the fuss had died down and now it was time to ask the bigger questions.

She gave Thomas a disapproving shake of her head as he coughed a bit. "I'm sorry, I didn't want to bring you guys into this."

"I think what he's trying to say is thanks for saving us," Frypan said.

"You're welcome," Brenda answered and turned back around as Jorge began to speak.

"Hey, don't get your hopes up. That checkpoint back there, that was the city's last defense. If that was overrun, chances are the city is, too."

"Yeah, unless they figured out some other way to keep the cranks out," Newt spoke looking out his window to the left. And on your left, past the overgrown brush, was the city spoken of. It had tall gray stone walls in a huge circle around it. The towns around the large walls seemed less well-kept but still existed with no major signs of disruption. Everyone hopped out of the car as if to view the serenity of the seen before entering it as a battlefield.

You stared in awe at the sight ahead of you. It seemed impossible to find one person in such a vast place. The last place free from the virus that anyone knew of. Your dad was probably there as well. If he had Minho, he would have known that you would come back for him. You hoped he was okay in some small place in your heart. Newt laced your fingers together and squeezed your hand. He could sense your trepidation.

"Funny... we spent three years trying to break out of that place and now we want to break back in," Newt sighed. You looked to him as he ran his free hand through his blonde hair.

"Yeah, it's hilarious," Fry sarcastically retorted.

"Jorge, how do we get in?" Thomas spoke quickly.

"Don't look at me, hermano. Those walls are new. I guess that's WCKD's answer for everything." He spoke as if he knew something bad was going to go down just trying to get through those walls.

"Well we ain't gonna figure it out from up here," Brenda stated, looking around. "Let's go!"

You didn't feel like arguing with them at the moment, plus you were still a little lightheaded, so you went and sat down in the backseat. You watched as Thomas and Newt didn't even turn around. They stared at the city for a little while longer exchanging a few words.

You knew it was about Minho and Teresa and WCKD in general. You were insanely worried for everyone, but being worried wasn't going to get you guys anywhere.

"Come on, guys," you shouted at them. They quickly turned and dust kicked up as everyone piled back into the car, ready to take on the city.

______________
(edit later)
Kinda filler chapter, but get ready :)

997 words