Chapter 23

Oscar Wilde once said that a person who expects the unexpected displays modern intellect... or something like that. The only reason Aria had a semi-remembrance of this quote and who stated the quote was because her younger sister was obsessed with reading classic literature (similar to her mate, actually) and would often quote authors at the dinner table and to her siblings to make herself seem smart. Sometimes, one of the Baros children would say something that was vaguely off-center from what a random famous person once said, and Aria's sibling would not hesitate to say, 'um, actually,' thus ruining the fun that they all were having in their joking conversation. It had been obnoxious and endearing, and Aria hadn't held back every time she teased and mocked her sibling for being such a smart ass. 

Now, Aria could do nothing but miss it every single day, wishing that should could be corrected by her sister one more time, if only to hear her voice. 

Getting back on track, however, Oscar Wilde apparently, supposedly, once said something regarding expecting the unexpected and intellect. As Aria was reaching near the end of her run through the Darkwoods Pack's territory, her mind drifted towards thoughts of everything that had happened to her in the past few months. 

It was October now, and the Montana weather was beginning its decent into what would, eventually, become blanketed in snow. The trees were at various stages of abscission, the leaves painting themselves lime green, orange, yellow, and red. The moist dirt was covered in foliage and fronds. Many animals skittered about throughout the deep mountain forest, working efficiently to prepare for the upcoming winter. 

Aria could hardly believe that it had already been five months since the day she was taken by Irma and the other hunters. It felt like yesterday that she was waking up in a hospital bed, considering throwing an ECG machine out a window to save face in front of her recently discovered mate. If she spend too much time thinking about it, the former-rogue could still feel the way the electricity had once coursed through her bones at the hands of the hunters. She could still imagine the ghost touch of a blade sliding itself across her skin, dipping in enough to draw red. No matter how long it had been, she still found herself waking up in the middle of the night, a cold sweat dripping down her neck and back as she struggled to take deep breaths. She'd hug her legs to her chest and bury her face into her knees, praying that, eventually, she wouldn't have to feel so alone. 

And then, she wouldn't be alone. 

As if sensing her emotional turmoil,  a soft knock would pull her from her own head, and after a small, "come in," Camden would enter into her room. With a quiet and a calm that reached into Aria's very being, Camden would climb in, sit beside her, and wrap his arms around her with a tight, controlled strength. They would sit there for minutes, sometimes hours, as the alpha did his best to be there for Aria in a way that she hadn't known for years. 

In the daytime, they would read together, run together, cook or work out together. They'd even managed to spar, though, it wasn't for long, as they'd just ended up making out. Sometimes, when it was really late, and most of the pack had gone to bed, Aria and Camden would sit on the couch in front of the fireplace--a spot that had quickly become a favorite of theirs--and talk about their families. Aria would recall her many siblings and caring parents. She would tell the stories of when she lived in Greece and had the blessing of calling many fae and non-human creatures her friends. Then, in return, Camden would tell Aria about his parents. How they ruled the pack with a kindness and strength that he could only hope to live up to. How, when he was only twenty-two, his mother--who was Alpha at the time--deemed him ready to lead the pack and decided to transfer power, preferring to be an advisor rather than leader in her retirement. He spoke of his mother's resolute confidence and his father's unending support. How they were childhood friends turned mates at eighteen, and neither one was really surprised.