Chapter 13

Fern Waters woke to screams

She jumped up.
Bella was already there at her side.
Not Aemond like she'd dreamed. No. It had been Bella the
whole time.
Why had she thought it was Aemond? How had she seen his silver-white locks in Bella's flaming hair? How had she felt his strong hands when it had been Bella's delicate grip?
She shook her head.
“What is happening?” Fern asked.
“The King is dead.” Bella answered.
“King Viserys? So Rhaenyra...”
“They are crowning Prince Aegon in the Sept.”
Fern's eyes widened.
Aegon?
Aegon was King?
No. That couldn't...
He'd been with her. He didn't... He didn't want to be King.
Fern bit her lip, fiddling with her hands.
Gods.
She couldn't imagine what he was feeling.
He'd told her for as long as they'd known each other that he wanted no crown. That he hated being a prince, nevermind a king. That he wanted nothing to do with his mother's feud with Rhaenyra. That they should crown Aemond instead.
She was out of bed before she knew what she was doing.
Bella grabbed her. “What are you doing?”
“He needs me.” Fern insisted.
Bella gave her a confused look, as if to say 'why would a king need the likes of you at his coronation?'
“Then he will send for you.” The redhead replied with a sigh.
“Bell you don't understand, I-”
There was a harsh knock on the door. Almost like metal against wood.
Footsteps sounded, someone going to open up the door, before it was forced open.
“Where is Fern Waters?” A man said sternly.
“We don't know any Fern.” Cedra answered.
Fern and Bella both stared at each other.
“Hide.” Bella hissed. “Get under the bed.”
“But what about–”
“Get under the bed, Fern. We don't know who sent him. It could be for anything. They could kill you.”
“Aegon wouldn't–”
“Fern.” Bella tried desperately.
The bedroom door slammed open.
Three men in armour charged in.
Fern pushed Bella behind her.
“Fern Waters?” One of the men asked.
His cloak was white.
She stepped forwards. “That's me.”
“King Aegon Targaryen second of his name has ordered for you to come with us.”
She wanted to ask why. What Aegon wanted. Whether it was really him or his grandfather who'd sent for her. Maybe Bella was right. Maybe the Hand wanted her out of the way. Or maybe Aegon wanted her... In the Keep.
She gulped and gave an uncertain nod, following behind the first man as the other two surrounded her.
There would be no escaping.
“Did the King say why he sent for me?” Fern asked timidly. There was no answer. “Is... Is everything well?” Still nothing. “Have I done something wrong?”
She got the message.
They weren't going to tell her anything.
The men and women that she'd grown up with – whores, thieves, street sellers, cobblers – all watched as she was led away.
None of them could do anything to help her.
None of them could save her.
All they could do was watch, knowing that for better or worse none of them would ever see little Fern Waters again.

There was a large bath filled with warm water. Fresh water. Drawn just for her.
Two servant girls pulled the young harlot's dress off without any warning.
Fern gasped, but she didn't have much time to do anything before she was being pushed down into the bath.
She folded her arms across her chest. But even that didn't last long.
Both girls grabbed an arm, scrubbing at her skin until it was bright bloody red.
Fern winced.
“I don't know what he wants her for.” One of them said.
“Look at the state of her.”
Fern shrank a little.
“Another mutt from King's Landing. He'll get bored of her.”
“We all know the King has... A unique taste.”
“I 'ope you're not questioning your King's choices.” Fern said sharply. It seemed the women had forgotten she was there, because both of them stared at her suddenly. “I'd hate to have to tell our leader that you don't respect his authority and rule.”
Both women froze.
They didn't move.
Fern leaned back in the bath. “You can go.”
“Who do you think–”
“I'll have a glass of wine too. All this talking has left me terribly thirsty. You wouldn't want me to be thirsty, would you?”
The women glanced at eachother.
Then they left.
Fern grinned as she sank deeper into her bathwater.
She sighed, leaning her head back. It was a moment of peace.
If Aegon had ordered for her to be bathed and these women had been so furious... At least it meant she wasn't going to die. Quite the opposite. He meant for something to happen with her.
The women returned after a long moment, one with a glass of wine and the other with a dress.
Fern was dried and made up, clothed and fed. And when she looked at herself in the mirror... It wasn't Fern Waters that she saw.
It wasn't the scraggly orphan girl sent to live on the street of silk that Aegon had met all those years ago.
And it wasn't the hard hearted whore she'd become.
She was dressed in fine silks, her hair done prettily and her lips painted.
She looked like a lady.
Like a real lady.
If it weren't for her slumped shoulders and sharp accent, perhaps she could've been mistaken for one of them.
But Fern wasn't a lady.
She pushed past the servants and put into the hall.
Two guards stood in her way, refusing to move.
“I want to see the King.”
“The King will see you shortly.”
“I want to see him now. I want to know what I'm doing here.”
The men were silent.
“I want to see the King.” She said again.
Still nothing.
She tried to shove through the large, towering, guards. “Aegon!” She yelled sharply. “Aegon get your arse out here right now! Aegon! What is going on?”
Two doors slammed open.
Fern went quiet.
Standing there, in front of her, was Aemond.
She stopped fighting the two guards, going still instead.
He eyed her for a long moment, seeming to have many questions, before giving a small sigh.
“Leave us.” He said to the guards and servants.
“But the King–”
“Leave us.” He repeated, voice firm and authoritative. A true prince. A true Targaryen. A true king.
Fern's shoulders slumped a little and she looked up at him sheepishly.
Aemond took in the sight of her, dressed up like some pretty doll. He shook his head.
“You look... Different.”
Her cheeks flushed. “Not so feral?”
He fought a smile. “Something like that.”
“Well,bas you can hear, I'm still the same old me. Aemond, what is going on? Nobody will tell me anything. I... I woke up and...”
“My father is dead.” He explained. “His last wish was for Aegon to be King. But it seems my brother has commanded that, if he is to stay and submit to his duties, he wants you. My mother and grandfather are not pleased but he's king. He can do what he likes. Including recieving a whore at court.”
Fern's eyes widened. “He isn't... I'm not– Aemond, I can't!”
“Oh yes you can.” He said with an very displeased expression. “And you will. You'll do whatever Aegon tells you. We all will.”
She frowned, stepping a little closer. “Aemond... I don't belong here. I... You have to talk to him.”
“I have. He won't listen.”
She looked down at the floor and sighed heavily. Her head was spinning.
Aemond stepped forward. Nervously, he held his breath as he reached out. He paused, unsure of himself in a way he only ever was around her. And then, finally, after a long moment, he placed his hand on her arm.
Her eyes shot up to him immediately.
“I will be with you.” He said quietly.
She stared up at him, her breath catching in her throat.
She couldn't stop thinking about her dream... About how he'd looked after her.
“Aemond you didn't... You weren't... You didn't come to the inn today did you?”
He stopped, face paling a little. “Why?”
“It's just I...” She stares at him for a moment before shaking her head. “Nevermind. It's nothing.”
He nods. “Then let us go and meet the King, shall we my lady?”
She frowns at the title but nods, taking his arm. “Alright, my prince.” She takes a deep breath and squeezes his arm. “Please don't let go.”
He looked down at her meaningfully. There was something in his gaze that she didn't understand. Something that made her heart stutter a little.
“I won't.” Was all he said.

Just got to Tromsø so here's another chapter :)) <3
Love y'all
-Rhi