Chapter 23

Fern smiled when Helaena entered her and Aegon's chambers

Fern smiled when Helaena entered her and Aegon's chambers. The Queen smiled back.
The two of them had an understanding. And in the previous few years, some form of friendship had grown between them.
Helaena liked to keep to herself a lot of the time. Aegon had said she'd always been quiet with her head in the clouds. But Fern rather liked that about her. And she liked the feeling of calm that the girl exuded.
Much to Fern's surprise, Helaena did not walk right past her that day. She walked right up to her.
In truth, she'd thought that Alicent had been keeping her daughter away from her. And she didn't particularly blame the dowager Queen.
But Helaena looked right at her and smiled.
“Will you come to court with me today? I don't like going on my own.” She said softly. Sweetly. She had such a gentle voice, such a beautiful demeanour. Fern couldn't say no to the girl even if she wanted to.
“I'd be glad to.” She answered, standing. Her arm looped through Helaena's and the Queen smiled up at her.
“You look beautiful.” Helaena said wistfully.
Fern's smile grew as they walked together out into the halls. “As do you, my Queen.”
“You can call me Helaena, Fern. Please.”
Fern nodded. She squeezed the Queen's hand. “As do you, Helaena.”
Helaena smiled back at her. There was a warm blush that coloured her pretty cheeks that Fern couldn't help but admire.
She understood that Aegon had never loved his sister. That he was never given an option in who he married. But it befuddled Fern that someone so beautiful, inside and out, could be in a loveless marriage. It was impossible not to love Helaena. Even Fern herself did, and she was her husband's mistress.
As they passed a guard, Helaena pulled Fern a little closer. She looked at the man suspiciously, like she knew things about him that no one else did.
“Running water... Running... Red with blood. Blood. Spools of green and spools of black.” The Queen muttered to herself incoherently, her gaze drifting down to the floor. She closed her eyes, holding Fern's arm like it was the only thing tethering her to reality.
“Helaena... We're here.” Fern whispered as they reached the large double doors that signalled their destination. Helaena remained in a world of her own.
Fern gave her a weak smile, squeezing her hand, and Helaena followed her absentmindedly inside.
Hushed whispers surrounded them as they passed through the crowds of Lords and Ladies. But Fern and the Queen walked through the middle of them without a word.
She supposed it must've been a strange sight. To see the Queen and the King's mistress walking arm in arm like they were sisters. But Fern and Helaena were used to stares and gossip and being outcasts.
“I think we've made an impression, Helaena, darling.” Fern whispered with a grin.
“Hm?” Helaena made answer, glancing about the room. When she noticed the whispering lords and ladies her cheeks flushed a little but she smiled, looking up at Fern. “I think they're more interested in you.”
“Oh don't be silly. How could they not look at both of us? You're queen now, darling. You have to get used to people paying attention to you.”
“Why? Aegon's the one on the iron throne.”
She squeezed Helaena's hand. “And you're the woman at his side.”
“So are you.” Helaena said softly.
“Well, it's up to us to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid then, isn't it?”
Helaena laughed softly, nodding. “I suppose so.”
They were both smiling, standing arm in arm, when the room went silent.
The air seemed to thicken, people shifting nervously. Helaena seemed to take no notice of the way people all began moving to the corners of the room.
“Whats going on?” Fern whispered.
Helaena only smiled, as they both turned.
And there, having just entered, Aemond walked towards them. He looked so powerful. So intimidating. Fern stood still, just staring.
She didn't want to think about the last time she'd seen him, but she couldn't help herself.
“Aemond!” Helaena greeted happily, seeming to be the only person in the room that didn't look nervous or terrified.
Word had spread about what Aemond had done to his nephew. About how he'd started this war with Rhaenyra. About how Prince Daemon wanted revenge.
“Hel.” Aemond said softly, giving his sister the closest thing he had to a smile. He gently touched her arm, the motion so subtle and delicate. Then he looked beside his sister. “Fern.”
“My Prince.” Fern inclined her head. She saw the way he raised one eyebrow at her. The slight smirk on his lips as he watched her bow.
She had to force herself to look away from his one eye, glancing towards the floor awkwardly.
“Fern looks beautiful today, don't you think, brother?” Helaena said softly, sweetly.
Aemond's eye ran over her as he nodded. “Fern always looks beautiful.”
“She's going to help me find a dress for Jaehaerys and Jaehaera's nameday.” Helaena smiled.
“Is that so?”
Fern looked to Helaena, daring to glance at Aemond for just a moment. “Our fair queen deserves the finest dress for her children's nameday.”
“That she does.” Aemond agreed. There was a long, tense, silence. Aemond and Fern both focused on each other. “What of you, Fern? Will you wear a fine dress?”
“Oh... Well... I didn't know that I was invited.”
Helaena grasped her hand, her eyes wide. “Fern, you must come! Aegon will want you there and so will I. Aemond, tell Fern she must come.”
Aemond gave his sister a small smile, though his gaze was fixed on Fern. “Yes. You must come.”
Fern could feel the heat rising over her at the intensity of his scrutiny. She dared to look, for just a moment, down at his lips. But as quickly as she looked away, Aemond caught her line of sight and smirked.
“Well, if you insist, my Queen.” She said, looking back to Helaena. “I wouldn't miss it.”
“Good. Aegon will be very happy.” Helaena answered. She didn't have to say that she'd be happy too. Fern could see it. She didn't know what she did to deserve Helaena's admiration, but the fact it was there at all warmed her heart.
“Then I suppose I shall have to find a dress as well.”
Aemond looked as though he was fighting the urge to grin, his eye wandering a little lower down her body than it should've. “Unless you plan to scandalise the court.”
Fern let out a small laugh, her cheeks turning a dark crimson. She didn't understand how he had such an effect on her. “I think I've scandalised them enough already.” She paused, looking to Aemond curiously. “Did Aegon send you for Helaena?”
“No. Mother did.” He said, holding his arm out to his sister.
She took it gratefully, smiling at Fern. “Will I see you later?”
“Of course, darling.” She smiled. She bit her lip, looking over at Aemond for a brief moment. “Goodbye, Aemond.”
Aemond smirked, turning away. “Goodbye Fern.”
She watched the two of them leave, suddenly feeling much too warm. She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath.
Gods be good.
The memory of her and Aemond in the gardens came back full force. She could feel all of it still.
Her cheeks flushed red at the thought, as if she were some delicate lady of court.
Seeing him so frequently was going to be more difficult than she'd thought.