Chapter 22-Part 2

ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ

Letum took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts before opening up to Amity. He knew this was a conversation he had been avoiding for too long. As they sat together in the soft glow of candlelight, Letum began to speak.

"Amity, I need to tell you something about my past," Letum started, his voice steady but filled with emotion. "When I was young, I had no parents. I grew up in an orphanage, surrounded by other children who were in similar circumstances. It was a difficult and lonely time, but I learned to be independent and self-reliant."

He paused, his eyes searching Amity's face for any signs of disbelief or judgment. Finding only warmth and concern, he continued. "But then, one day, I fell seriously ill. It was a life-threatening condition, and the doctors gave me little hope of survival. That's when Miles came into my life."

Letum's voice hardened as he spoke of his 'savior'. "Miles offered me a chance at life, a way to escape the clutches of death. But his offer came with conditions. I couldn't reveal anything about my past, my lack of parents, or the circumstances that led me to that point."

His gaze lingered on Amity, searching for understanding. "I accepted his offer without hesitation, desperate to live and experience all that life had to offer. Little did I know that by doing so, I would also be severing the ties to my past, making it impossible for me to share this part of my life with anyone, including you, until now."

Letum took a deep breath, feeling a weight lifting off his shoulders as the truth finally spilled out. "Amity, I've kept this secret from you because I feared losing you. The thought of you seeing me differently, or worse, leaving me because of my past, terrified me. But our love has grown stronger, and I can't keep this part of me hidden any longer. I hope you understand."

As he finished his explanation, Letum's heart raced, unsure of how Amity would react. But the love in her eyes assured him that their bond was stronger than any secret from the past. And in that moment, they both knew that their love could weather any storm, no matter how painful or difficult.

The love and vulnerability in his voice touched her deeply, and she couldn't help but feel a surge of empathy for the pain he must have carried all these years.

"Oh, Letum," Amity whispered, her voice trembling with emotion. "I can't even begin to imagine what you've been through. To have faced such a difficult choice at such a young age... it breaks my heart."

He reached out and gently took her hand, holding it tightly as he continued his explanation. "I was alone, Amity. An orphan with no one to turn to. That illness... it was slowly consuming me, and I had accepted my fate. But then Miles appeared, offering me a chance at life, at a future.  I would have never accepted it, now that I know I had put you life in danger." He paused, " especially with that 'child' now "

Amity's grip tightened on Letum's hand, her eyes never leaving his face. She understood the weight he carried, the sacrifices he had made. "And you accepted, didn't you?" she asked softly, already knowing the answer.

Letum nodded, a mixture of sadness and relief crossing his features. "Yes, I accepted. I wanted to live, to experience everything that life had to offer. But in return, I had to sever the ties to my past, to become someone new. It meant that I couldn't share this part of my life with anyone, including you."

Her heart ached for his loneliness, for the burden he had carried in silence. "Letum, I wish you had trusted me sooner. But I understand why you kept this secret. Our love has grown stronger, and I'm here with you now, no matter what. You don't have to face this alone anymore."

Tears streamed down Amity's cheeks as she leaned closer, resting her head against Letum's chest. They both knew that their love had triumphed over the darkness of the past, that it was strong enough to endure any hardship.