Summer Stars

(Y/n)'s POV

As I expected, I couldn't fall asleep in an hour. I didn't even feel tired. I got out of bed and went to the forest. When I got there, I saw Duncan sitting by a fire he made, drawing in the dirt with a stick.

"Hey," I said as I approached him. "Whatcha doing?"

"Just scribbling. I was waiting for you. I was hoping you'd actually show," he responded.

"Well, I couldn't sleep. Of course I had to come here."

"It's not that. I was kinda worried you wouldn't show up anyway. I mean, you said it yourself, there's a part of me that's scary to you. Why would you trust me to come out here, in the woods, in the middle of the night?"

"Duncan," I began. I had to think of my next words carefully. "You may seem scary sometimes, but I'll never assume you're going to murder me, if that's what you were hinting at. If I did, why would I talk to you?"

"I guess you have a point. I don't know, I'm just not used to feeling like I have someone in my corner. I mean, I'm pretty abrasive, yet you're still here everyday willing to talk to me. It's completely different than what I'm used to, but I guess I'm not that upset about it," he admitted. At that moment, I wanted to hug him, but I wasn't sure how he'd react, so I just put a hand on his shoulder.

"Duncan, even if we weren't on the same team, I'd still stand by you. Look at us! We clearly have the same kind of style, and if you haven't noticed, we're really the only ones like us. I would've tried to stick by your side anyway. I don't really want to do this alone. It's hard enough as it is. I really owe it all to you for not turning me away." At that, he hugged me. Even though he has tiny arms, that boy is STRONG. I wasn't expecting him to squeeze me as tight as he did. I finally was able to hug him back after squirming around quite a bit. After what seemed like forever, he pulled away.

"Hey (Y/n)?" He asked me.

"Yeah?"

"Let's not tell anyone about this, okay?"

"Sure," I said, laughing.

Duncan's POV

"Sure," they responded to me, laughing. For the first time this summer, I actually felt at peace. I finally found someone to confide in. A nice acquaintance, if you will.

We began the walk back to the cabins in a comfortable silence. Once we arrived, (Y/n) turned to me.

"Do you know the song 'Walking in the Wind'?" they suddenly asked me.

"No, what do I look like, a little kid?" I asked back. I mean, I didn't want to ruin the moment, but I had a reputation to uphold, and a song titled that sounded nothing like what I was interested in music wise.

"No, it's just there's this one line that I feel like perfectly describes this night," they explained.

"Hit me," I responded, hopefully sounding as nice as possible.

"At one point, they sing 'if you're lost, just look for me, you'll find me in the region of the summer stars.' I just feel like that really fits, you know? I couldn't sleep and felt a little lost after the crazy couple of days we had, so I came looking for you where you said you'd be; under the summer stars." I just stood there. Who knew someone could be so poetic?

"(Y/n), you're onto something. That was honestly kinda beautiful," I told them with every ounce of honesty in my body. They smiled back at me.

"Goodnight, Duncan," they said before disappearing back into the girl's side of the team's cabin.

"Night," I replied, albeit to no one.

The day just took a really special turn.