A Night in the Woods

(Duncan's POV)

I finally managed to fall asleep in this tent full of people. Luckily, I didn't need to say anything to anyone except a simple "goodnight." I really wasn't in the mood to do anything else. Suddenly, I was awoken by Bridgette kicking a hot rock onto the tent, catching it on fire, and immediately burning it down. Great. This night really couldn't get any worse, could it? As if I had jinxed it, it started pouring down rain. We all agreed the best thing to do would be to sleep under a tree so at least some rain would miss us. (Y/n) sat next to me once I found a spot. 

"Hey, Duncan. Are you okay? You've been pretty quiet since my blowup with Courtney." Again, my heart stopped for a moment. They really DID care about me. 

"Yeah, I'm fine, just tired."

"Ok. Get some sleep. We'll need it if we want to be the first back to camp tomorrow." And with that, I closed my eyes, suddenly feeling a wave of calm wash over me. 

***

The next morning I woke up to something heavy on my chest. Literally. I opened my eyes to see (y/n) cuddled up to me. I couldn't help but smile. And then I immediately started fighting it. I didn't have time to keep falling in love with someone. I was here to win the money and that was it. For both of our sakes, I had to end whatever this was. I pushed (y/n) off of me. 

"Morning sunshine," I said to them teasingly. 

"Morn- woah! Sorry, I didn't mean to do that," they said, a blush spreading over their cheeks. Oh no. Not happening. 

"Well don't let it happen again." With that, I got up and started heading back to the camp to hopefully win the challenge. Everyone else followed suit. I didn't look back. I didn't look at (y/n). I just focused on winning the challenge. 

(Y/n)'s POV

I didn't know what I did. All I know is I stood up for Duncan and now he for some reason hates me. All I could do was focus on getting back to camp and winning this challenge. Hopefully, if we win, we can talk while the Gophers go to elimination.

***

"We did it! We won the challenge!" I heard Courtney yell. I was relieved. Now Duncan and I could have a conversation if he was up to it, but I wasn't going to push anything.

"Actually," we hear Chris start, "you seem to be missing a few people." I look around and immediately realize Sadie and Katie never made it back with us. Of course, I think to myself. This day really couldn't get any worse, could it? As I was considering how bad my day had started, the entire team of the Gophers came running up, making them the winners of today's challenge. Great. Just great. Now we have to vote another person off our team. With how things were going, I wasn't sure if Duncan wanted to keep me anymore, and I felt a small part of my heart break. 

Sure enough, after I quickly got over it, Sadie and Katie came running up the hill, claiming they would always be "BFFFL," which apparently means "Best Female Friends for Life." We all were way too angry with them to care. 

***

"...and the final marshmallow goes to.............. Sadie! That means Katie, I'll see you on the dock to take the boat to loser town!" Chris announced. At least Duncan and I were safe so we could finally take care of whatever rift was between us. As Sadie said her goodbyes to Katie, I ran up to Duncan.

"Hey, Duncan! Wait up!" I could tell he reluctantly stopped to turn around, but I chose to not question it. 

"Whaddaya need, (y/n)? It's late and I didn't sleep well last night." He turned his head away from me saying that last part, so I knew it was a lie. He and I both knew we slept great together. 

"I just wanted to check on you. You seem off today. Is everything okay?"

"Like I said, just tired. Now let me get some sleep." And then he was gone. I had no idea what to do. My best friend at camp wouldn't talk to me and I had to figure out why.