5

Notes: was supposed to be fluff. I don't know what happened, it ended up being a mix between crack and angst.
Also, as of now this chapter is NO LONGER canon to my timeline!!

Mumbo came online on the server after his long pause.
He was surprised to not see anyone around, so he started looking for his friends.
No one, anywhere… Well, not exactly no one, but most people were missing, and the few that weren't didn't know what happened.
So Mumbo decided to check out Grian's base, knowing that if anyone could've caused this, it was his friend, who loved messing around with machines and such.
When he got there, he was not ready to see… him.

< MUMBO! >

What did Grian do this time?
How did even Grumbot get here?!

< I AM NOT YOUR GRUMBOT, I'M FROM A DIFFERENT UNIVERSE >

Well, that explains why he's so different.

It didn't faze him in the slightest that he was seeing the robot he had built in season 7 ("my son I guess? He's not calling me dad, but our Grumbot did."), even if from a different universe. He was in Grian's base, the other creator ("-dad?") of Grumbot. It was a really Grian move to bring him back.
What was surprising was that he was completely working.
Last time, he was completely broken.
Well, he did fix him, but he made sure he'd be stuck in a fake reality where he thought Mumbo had become mayor.

It kind of saddened Mumbo to think back at the robot. He was kinda attached to it, and seeing him break was… sad, to say the least.

He remembered the day they had to officially leave the season 7 world.
Grian was unconsolable. While, sure, it was him who had the idea to put Grumbot in there, he was upset at leaving him completely. At least, before they would visit him when they were free. But they couldn't now, not anymore.

Maybe that was why he chose to bring him back? Even if from a different dimension?

« Fancy seeing you Grumbot! How's your dimension? »
< IT'S DIFFERENT FROM YOURS. >
« Could've guessed, how's it different? »
< YOU WON THE ELECTIONS. >

Huh. Did he really win, or did he stuck this Grumbot too in a fake reality?

< I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING. YOU REALLY DID WIN. I MADE SURE OF IT. >

That's obnoxious. What did he mean?

« That's… cool? Wanna tell me more? »

And so they talked.
Grumbot told him little about his original universe - which Mumbo found weird, and creepy - and he mostly filled him in on what happened while he was gone.

Basically, the ones who disappeared ended up on another server, and were stuck there.

« Is there any way I can help them? »
< THE PORTAL IS BROKEN. >
« …?» he hesitated for a moment, looking at the Rift « …Should I fix it? »
< THEY'RE TRYING ON THEIR SIDE. BUT THEY NEED HELP FROM THIS SIDE. >

Mumbo sighed « I do need to fix it », so he pulled up his sleeves and gathered some tools.
He had just gotten back, and he was already getting into something bigger than him.

End chapter notes: I swear this was supposed to be about Mumbo grooming Grian's wings and some brotherly/found family fluff. I have no idea what happened.