Arrival Of Baji

In Nepali, we call our grandmother  "Baji",  and "Dadi" in Hindi.

10/06/23, 4:30

I woke up from a dream, well I'm not really sure whether it was a dream or something that my mind had said. In my dream, I heard myself saying, "People are more sensitive during their childhood and old age. So I want to take care of her and I don't want something to hurt her. She took care of me during my childhood and now I want to take care of her". That's what I had in my mind the other day too. When I woke up with a dream I saw my grandmother had already reached here in Dehradun from her hometown my ancestral land which I miss the most. I got up put on my shirt and said, "Dhog Diya Baji", which means I bow at you with respect my grandmother. "Bachi rayei challa, bhagyamani bhayai", that's what she said with her wrinkled pale face and with her charming smile which means, "Long live my child, hope all the fortune comes to you". 

Earlier there was a lot in my head that I really wanted to share with her, tell her, and ask her but I was blank at that time staring at her beautiful face perfect French breed that she always make while parting her hair in the midst of her head. I noticed this time her face is brighter than the last time she came to Dehra. I suddenly got a glimpse of childhood when I used to swing on her back, used to pull her cheeks saying how beautiful she is and how smooth her wrinkled skin is. I always used to love her French breed ponytail which was perfectly suited to her little round face and silky black hair. Though she is more than seventy I noticed she looks no different than she was 11 years ago, the little changes I noticed were some of her hair turned grey, she had trembling hands due to old age, and little more bound back than earlier. Her legs were swollen because of repetitive traveling for two days and nights.

When I looked at her she seemed delighted to be here with us, she was really happy and I was too delighted to see her. I say nothing and saw Father was just behind me I bow to him saying, "Dhog diya Papaji", and he responded "Bhagyamani bhayai" which means, "Be fortunate". Father went inside the room while Mother was unpacking Baji's things. While unpacking she find that some honey and ghee(Clarified butter) were on the clothes then Baji said "It might have happened on the bus we didn't pack it tightly as we were in a hurry ". There were lots of things that Baji had bought including onions, potatoes, and walnuts from our field in the village. She brought Nepali Noodles too which we call, "Chau Chau" in Nepal. After some time we went to sleep again as it was early morning Baji and Papaji too have sleepless nights due to the Bus Journey from Bajhang(District in Nepal) to Dehradun(District in Uttarakhand State of India). Baji went to sleep beside my sisters on a double bed while I was on the single bed on the other side of the room. When Baji closed her eyes, I kept staring at her as if I was reminiscing about my childhood by looking at her.