The Horseman ~ Chapter 10

As we mounted the horse and galloped through the woods toward the castle, I couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. For once, Horseman was uncharacteristically quiet, not uttering a single word. It wasn't until we drew closer and saw the council members gathered outside the entrance waiting for us that he finally broke his silence.

"Don't speak a word. Let me talk to the council." Horseman tightened the hood around his face and dismounted. He strode forward to meet the council members as I stood awkwardly by Gideon in the far distance but close enough to hear their voices.

"Ah, Horseman, how nice it is to see you after all these years." The first council member to speak was Filip, who I recognized from the village. He was always so pleasant, but it seemed the last few months had aged him. His usual blonde hair was now ash white, and the dark circles under his eyes had turned a deeper shade of purple.

"How very rehearsed, Filip. Can I ask what you are doing here?" Filip's mouth fell open slightly, only briefly, before clearing his throat and gaining composure.

"On behalf of the entire council, we invite you to a truce." Filip folded his hands in front of him, but even I could see the slight tremble of his fingers as he came face to face with the Horseman.

"A truce?" Horseman's lips twisted into a sneer, and he let out a derisive snort through his nose.

A beautiful woman with golden brown skin and dark curls stepped forward, a pleading look in her honey eyes, "We no longer wish for a divide between the villagers and the travelers; we want peace."

"If this is so important, why isn't Lord Fendrel here to ask this himself?" His words were laced with disgust as he mentioned the council leader's name.

"-Lord Fendrel doesn't know we are here," Filip interrupted but was soon met with a warning glare from the councilwoman beside him.

"Interesting. What is this truce you speak of?" Horseman tilted his head and circled them like a hungry vulture.

"This is a long village tradition that we haven't held in many years now, and what better way to begin our truce than to have a tournament." She lifted her chin and glared at the Horseman with determination.

"If I refuse, Alena, what will happen then?" He was testing her, seeing how far he could challenge them until they both fled.

"The villagers fear you. They are sick because of you and your curse. If a truce were to happen, we would be free, and so would you. You would be allowed into the village like you've always wanted, so I'd advise you not to refuse." Although she stood tall, Alena's voice trembled with each word.

"Go to hell!" Horseman's chest moved heavily up and down as he tried to contain the simmering rage building up.

"Horseman, please, I'm begging you, my children are sick." Filip could no longer contain his worry. He was always a proud man, but here he was at a breaking point.

"Then I'm happy to strike a deal, but I will not go into that village and play your foolish games while in the presence of Lord Fendrel." Horseman's fists clenched so tight I was surprised he didn't break a bone beneath his leather-bound glove. He would not back down, that's certain, not without a deal.

I watched them endlessly spit words at each other back and forth, and I couldn't stand by and watch any longer. I defied Horseman and walked along the stone path toward the shocked council members.

"Esme, you look beautiful, I thought staying here would bring you great sorrow, but you look strong and healthy." A gasp escaped from Alena's lips as she glanced at my complexion.