Chapter 6: Welcome to Arcane Academy

As the hours passed, Maxine and Desmon gained a deeper understanding of each other than they had in high school.

"So Desmon I've been meaning to ask you, how did you find you're familiar?" Maxine asks, confused and curious.

"Oh, well after the day on the bridge, I was walking home when I heard a screech coming from the nearby forest, so I went to investigate," Desmon says in his practiced lie.

"Oooh, that's very brave, though a little foolish," Maxine says smirking.

"Foolish, yes, brave...? I don't think so..." Desmon says sadly.

Garnet, who was looking out the window, flies over and lands on Desmon's head, taking a seat.

"It seems Garnet thinks differently," Maxine says happily, giggling.

"Well when I found her she was injured, my thought was she probably got into a scrap with another animal, so I treated her wing. Afterward, I heard a voice in my head say thank you, I realized it was her and we sat there talking until she told me she was looking for her Master, which turned out to be me." Desmon says.

"That's so cool. I hope I find my familiar someday soon!" Maxine says smiling.

"I'm sure you will someday," Desmon says, chuckling at her enthusiasm.

"Though... I always saw you more of a dragon or a wolf over a phoenix." Maxine says looking thoughtful.

'Shit!...' Desmon thinks.

"Yeah, mom and Hana think I'd be more of a wolf while dad thinks a naga suits me more," Desmon says, coming up with a way to distract Maxine's thoughts.

"I guess, what do you think mine would be?" Maxine asks.

"Hmm... I think yours would be an eagle." Desmon says.

Maxine looks perplexed.

"Why an eagle?" Maxine asks.

"Well you're very proud of yourself, but you also are very humble, not to mention your very calculative, and your gracefulness," Desmon says listing off the things that stand out to him.

As Desmon lists things off he doesn't see Maxine blushing from pink to burning red.

Maxine looks away smiling. "Thank... thank you Desmon."

The rest of the ride was kinda uneventful. When the train stopped, they grab their bags as Garnet flies onto Desmon's shoulder. They're the last to leave the train, causing other students to stare at them because of Garnet. They're ignored as Desmon and Maxine take in their surroundings.

"Woah! Arcane Academy!" Maxine says in awe.

The school of Arcane Academy looks like a giant castle sitting in the middle of a giant lake, the lake is surrounded by forest, farmsteads, some housing, and massive mountains. As they head towards the building, both can't help but stare at everything around them. Among the sights, there was a teacher riding a griffin, some older students testing Tenebris magic, and two manticores with two other staff guarding the front doors.

"Desmon, there is a lot more here than when I first came here with your grandfather," Garnet tells Desmon, the only person who can understand her in her phoenix form, "There is also a lot more security."

"Well, there have been more mages going rogue recently so more security means more protection right?" Desmon asks in a whisper.

"Though that is true, it will make it harder to find the other ruins if you can't even leave the school grounds," Garnet replies.