002 | don't you want me baby?

002

Don't You Want Me Baby?

+

THE OCEAN WAS BONNIE'S HAPPY PLACE. THE SPRAY AND THE SMELL OF SALTWATER ALWAYS FELT LIKE HOME TO HER.

The Rizzoli's ranch house hadn't changed much since Bonnie moved out of her parents' and into the ground floor apartment that she shared with Alex. When she and Alex moved in, the one thing that Bonnie wouldn't compromise on was proximity to the water. The ranch house sat on an even hundred of acres of land near the marina, where her father docked his boat. There was a small, stoney beach where the water met land. That beach was where she and Alex had first kissed.

She missed him, or at least, she missed the way he used to be. Before he became so distant.

"Bodhi, you're too close to the water, kiddo!" Hazel Rizzoli shouted from the porch, her orange hair blowing in the wind. "Come back up to the porch, spend some time with your Auntie Bonnie!"

Hazel Rizzoli, formerly Hazel Latour, was a well-built five-foot-six glassblowing artist with patchwork sleeves of tattoos up her pale, porcelain arms. She had married Bonnie's brother Lachlan around the same time that Bonnie started college, and Bodhi had been born two months after that. Lachlan liked to credit the little boy with saving his marriage.

Bonnie just thought that her brother was an idiot, and that Hazel Latour was the best thing that had ever happened to him.

"Let him play, Haze. I'm keeping an eye on him." Bonnie insisted, lifting her mug of hot chocolate to her lips, the whipped cream sticking to her nose as she watched her nephew skip stones into the water with his father. "I'm not good company today."

Hazel frowned sympathetically at her sister-in-law. Hazel's feminine intuition had only gotten stronger since her son was born, and she could read a person like a book based almost solely on their hand movements. Bonnie always thought that Hazel would make a good cop.

"You and Alex having problems?"

Bonnie snorted. "Honey, we've been having problems."

"Do you want to talk about it, sweetheart? I couldn't help but overhear." The patio door slid open, a billowy tie-dye shawl signaling the arrival of Amelia-Laura Rizzoli, a sad yet comforting look on her face as she sat across from her daughter. "You know, your father and I went through a bit of a rough patch after Lachie was born. Marriage isn't easy."

"He wants to go to Korea, mom. He applied for a teaching job without even telling me. He missed our date night to take the fucking interview. If he goes to Korea and I don't go with him, our marriage isn't going to last."

"Korea? Like, move to Korea?" Hazel blinked. "Neither of you speak Korean."

"His birth parents were Korean. I think he wants to find out more about where he comes from, which is fine, but he wants to uproot our entire life and move to Seoul. We never even talked about it, one day he just said it's what he wanted to do. You know who's bloody fault this is? It's those fuckers on the rugby team who bought him that ancestry kit."

"Did he find anything out with it?"

Bonnie shook her head, feeling queasy just thinking about the problems she was having, thinking about the state of her marriage and the fact that her husband didn't think he could talk to her. "Just a name. Daniel Lee, that's all he knows."