The Dinner and The Duke

The family sat awkwardly around the dining table, not knowing what to say around the guest. Y/n looked around at her family, smiling to herself not a lot can quiet the Crawley's. So, when it happens, she can't help but giggle. "Mathew, how are is the quiet country?" Y/n asks breaking the silence. Secretly a lot of her family was relieved that someone finally spoke. "It is different, but I enjoy it. The people are kinder that is for sure." 

"Lady Y/n?" Carson asked sounding rather hesitant, "Is everything ok, Mr. Carson?" He regained his composure looking forward. "A duke of Cambridge is here for you madam." A small smile toys on her father's lips. Mer granny looks rather unsure, "For a duke you would think he could take a hint." 

"Granny," Y/n warned pulling away from the table, making sure she looked presentable. "I am just saying, you would think saying no to a proposal would say 'I do not want you." She sighs leaving the dining room and following Carson. "Why would the duke come back?" Edith asks looking toward her mother. "I do not know dear, perhaps he does care for her." She sounded almost hopeful, "It doesn't matter if he does care for her, if Y/n does not want him she will not say yes. Very headstrong women we have darling." Robert reasoned looking at his wife, "She turned down a duke?" Isobel asked in utter disbelief, "Yes one thing you will learn about my sister is that she is rather picky." Edith said pushing the food around in her plate. 

******************

Y/n walked into the hall, telling Carson to go back to dinner; the duke admired a painting of some cherry blossoms. Still looking at the painting he said, "It is very beautiful." She stopped a few feet away, folding her hands together. "Thank you, I painted it." He turned around with a smirk, looking the graceful girl up and down. "You have a talent," The way he is looking at her makes Y/n feel slightly uncomfortable. She would describe it as being a mouse to a cat, a vicious hungry cat. "Thank you. What can I do for you." He strutted closer his hat under his arms, "I just had to see you. I know our last time we talked ended sourly." He whispered now fully looking down at her, she looks up through her lashes. "I am sorry for saying 'no', but Jack, I do not love you." Y/n could have sworn she heard him growl. His eyes darken, his shoulders stiffen. "You don't love me now, but you will." Her heartbeat starts to quick, "I am sorry I don't think I will." 

He sighs, seemingly calming himself. He puts both his hands on her arms rubbing them up and down gently. She could feel his hot breath on her lips, "You will." She tried to push him away, but she couldn't. He kept leaning in, she kept pushing, he smiled, she frowned. His lips just above hers and "Is everything ok here?" Mr. Bates walks in his cane tapping the tile in a satisfying snap. "Everything is fine, I was just leaving. Till next time my dear." He let go of her walking out his aggravated steps echoed throughout the hall. She turned to Mr. Bates her eyes glossy, "Oh Mr. Bates." He put a hand on her shoulder, "Do you want to go back to dinner madam?" He asked trying to keep his voice level.

"No, I think I will be going to bed now. Goodnight, Mr. Bates." He nodded, "Goodnight, Madam. Should I bring a tray up?" She shook her head no and silently went to her room. Closing the door and cried. Her stomach turned she could still feel his hands on her arms. His breath on her skin. She went to bed exhausted and drained. 

**********************

As Mr. Bates helped his employer get ready for bed, he could not help but wonder if he should tell him. How would Y/n feel if he told him. How would he react? Ultimately however Mr. Bates had morals. Which overpowered every other thought, "Sir?" Mr. Bates stopped and locked eyes with Mr. Crawley in his mirror. "Yes? Is everything alright?" 

"Well, no sir, it's Y/n and the duke. I saw him forcefully trying to kiss Y/n in the hall this evening. He tried to force himself on her, she tried pushing him away, but she couldn't. I stepped in and he stopped. He then Stormed off, sir I don't know if she wants you to know. However, I feel you must know." He explained, Robert looked utterly gut wretched, "Oh god imagine if you weren't there." He mumbled absentmindedly. "I would rather not sir." 

"No, me either. That's why she did not come back to dinner?" He nodded, "Thank you Bates. You have no idea how grateful I am that you were there. I will straighten this out, that man never set foot in Downton again!"