The End

In a split-second Mathew's heart broke. One word turned his word upside down. "What do you mean 'no'. I understand it's a little sooner than expected but-"

"Mathew, please." She pulled away from his grasp, but he held her hands. "No, I want, I need to talk about this." 

"Mathew, you don't want to marry me. You want to prove a point to Jack that is all. I will have no part of it. If you do not believe I love you I am sorry, but I will not marry you so you can say you're the better man." Mathew's face started to turn hot, "that is not what this is about. I love you." He mumbled kissing her hands. "If you love me as much as you say you do, you won't marry me." 

Mathews eyes started to tear up as he looked her completely gutted. "Don't you want a life with me?" She moved to hold his face in her hands, "oh, Mathew I would love nothing more, but this. This isn't right. I want you to ask me when were ready. I want you to fall in love with me. I want you to be happy not angry when you ask." She kisses the crease of his nose, between his eyes. I love you, Mathew Crawley." She pulls away and walks back to the house solemnly. Leaving him there, the sun in his eyes and her book on the ground. He looks down and he she was reading a book of poems.

With a heavy heart he took the book and left the abbey. 

-----------------------------------------

It had been three days since either had talked to the other. Y/n had been cooped up in her room all day reading. The staff would knock on her door every so often and check on her, per her family's request. Anna, Mr. Bates, and Coulson would tidy up her room and bring her meals periodically. She didn't talk much; these past few days and they would whisper about how they could help her. Mathew stayed cooped up in his office his nose buried in her poetry book. Snapping at his coworkers. Hair and clothes disheveled, barely ever coming home except in the late hours. 

 Sybil and Isobel decided that a brunch would get her in better spirits. Bring her in the spring air and bring her close with her family. 

She sat a round table with her sisters, who were all looking at each other awkwardly. Wondering what they could say, usually it's Y/n job to break the silence, or to comfort people. Sybil looked around for Isobel, and she sighed in relief when she saw her finally. Mathew in tow, looking like a man on a mission. Flowers in hand, Sybil jumped up quick and practically ran to Isobel. "Thank goodness your here she has not talked one bit." 

Mathew's head shot to Sybil, "Y/n?"

"She hasn't even looked up. She has been a wreck for days poor dear." 

"Where is she?"

"Over there." Sybil pointed turning to face the table taking Isobel's arm. Mathew practically ran toward the table. Y/n didn't look up her back turned to him her nose buried in a book. Robert and Cora watched from a distance both relieved when he appeared. Mary and Edith looked at Mathew and glanced at each other and left the table silently walking to their youngest sister. 

Mathew moved in front of her kneeling in front of her. She looks up from her book and into his eyes. "Mathew?" 

"Hello?" 

"What are you doing here?" 

"Making amends," he hums presenting the flowers and her poetry book she left. He placed the flowers on the table and took the book she was reading, placing it with the flowers. Leaving her with the poetry book. "I read this, all of it.  Every word I thought of you. I understand now." 

"Mathew-"

"Please I have to say this, the duke and I were playing a game that was fruitless. I don't need to compete with another man for your affections. I have them. I took that for granted, never again. I know I didn't get the answer I wanted before, but I understand now, and I will ask again and again until you see that I do. I love you Y/n. I am so in love with you. Please will you do me the honor of marrying me?" Mathew pulls a ring out of his pocket, and everyone gasps, Cora holds Robert tightly. Her sister is all speechless as they watch, Isobell and Violet have tear in their eyes. 

Coulson heart started to beat faster, and Anna and bates held each other's hands tightly not caring who saw. Y/n sat staring at Mathew her eyes darting form him and the ring. "Please say something?" He begs and she whispers so softly, "yes. Oh, Mathew, I love you so much." The stood together and embraced. He twirled her in the air as they laughed together. Their family and friends clapped as the sight. As he put the ring on her hand, he kissed her passionately. "I love you." She whispered, "I love you more." He answered, and the thoughts of the duke left both their minds as they held each other.