part seven

The change in Elijah's behavior didn't go unnoticed by his mother, Martha. She started noticing how he had become cheerful over the past few days and spotted his eagerness to leave the palace doors. Of course, she was perplexed by this peculiar behavior of his, considering how, for the past two years, Elijah had spent most of his time locked inside his chambers. A vile yet clever woman as she was, Martha knew that she couldn't let this slide nonchalantly.

"Liliane?"

She entered the chambers of the new queen, Liliane. Oh, how she adored her. The perfect example of how the queen of Tastia should be: A royal-born princess, with not even a single scar on her body, dressed in generous fabrics, jewels, and the emerald-studded crown resting on her hair, adorned by royal orchids Martha stood there, observing the queen while she picked out new precious stones.

"Yes, Queen Dowager?"

"Have you talked to Elijah lately? I cannot help but notice his odd behavior over the past few days."

"Oh, you know, Queen Dowager, we rarely ever talk. There is certainly a change in him, and I agree. How do I say it? Well, his spirits seem to have been lifted. Besides, Your Highness doesn't spend much time in his chambers nowadays."

Sensing that the situation was taking a turn for the worst, Martha turned around without a word and strode to her bed chamber. She motioned for her lady-in-waiting and whispered hushed words in her ear. With a subtle nod and bow, the maid whisked out of the palace.

Ugh, that demanding woman never lets me rest. Why does she want me to spy and get updates about the kingdom's citizens? She has never given such a ridiculous order before! Heaven knows what she wants. The lady-in-waiting under Martha rolled her eyes as she walked idly in the streets, kicking off a stone or two.

When she was about to head back to the palace after an hour with no unusual news, her footsteps were brought to a halt as she heard that name. With her eyes widening from the shock, she turned around and walked as fast as she could, her heart hammering. The Queen Dowager must hear about this.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

Martha paced around, her mind spinning with various thoughts. She fiddled with her jewelry and fidgeted with her limbs as she pondered the same question repeatedly. How could this happen? I ensured the end of that wench's life. How could this ever happen?

She stood up, and she inhaled a big breath. With her eyes set with determination and her body showcasing a posture of fake calmness, Martha turned towards her lady-in-waiting.

"I need to talk to Your Majesty in private. Would you kindly convey my message?"

"Yes, Queen Dowager," said the lady while she scurried away in a curtsy.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

Martha entered the Royal Court, the most magnificent of the time. It had wide doors and windows through which the sunlight seeped inside, lighting up the entire hall. Elijah was seated on the humongous throne, positioned on the top of a fleet of 100 stairs. Numerous Tastia flags of Tastia were hanging from the ceiling, while in the center of the ceiling was an enthralling crystal glass chandelier. Several other chairs lined up in the hall for the ministers and council members, but they were all empty at the moment.

"Mother, what is the matter? I have been curious about why you urgently needed to meet me." Elijah questioned him as he walked down the stairs.

"I won't beat around the bush then; let me be more clear. Priscilla has entered our lives once again, hasn't she?" She said it with a smug face, all the while staring deep into Elijah's eyes. My baby's eyes never lie.

"Yes." He knew that he couldn't lie; it would be useless to even try to.

"Dearest, it's been years since Priscilla passed away. Don't tell me you still love and long for her. Is that why you have been constantly sneaking out of the palace doors these days?"

"Why would I not love her still, mother? She was my whole world, my universe. I am nothing without her." Elijah emphasized that his eyes were slightly wet.

"Compose yourself, Your Majesty. You are the King of Tastia. And she was just a commoner who trapped you."

"Great Queen Dowager, mind your words. You are talking about the Queen of Tastia. I will not tolerate such baloney." The King remarked, his tone turning cold.

Little did the arguing duo know that someone was listening to their conversation. Little did they know that this argument would be the spark leading to another tragedy yet to come.