Chapter 5

A few months later, Amrod was already crawling around the house, laughing merrily and attempting to speak random words. Elven babies grew so much faster than human ones. It was common for elflings to be able to dance and sing at the age of one. Amrod was now almost 4 months old. Tauriel was keeping a close eye on him, following him like a shadow, so that he didn't get hurt or that he didn't break anything.

He was a bright, happy child, with large, curious eyes, in which small sparks like stars were visible over the serene blue. He loved exploring and was quite restless, resembling Thranduil when he was a child in both looks and character. After giving Tauriel headaches and constantly chasing after him, he would calm down as Thranduil picked him up in his arms and would tell him stories of the past, of Middle-Earth, of dragons and of dwarves. Perpahs it was Thranduil's deep, soothing voice that was making Amrod suddenly quiet and still, fascinated with what he was hearing. That's how Thranduil was putting him to sleep every night.

'You were right, he is a handful.', Tauriel spoke playfully while watering the plants, after Thranduil put Amrod to sleep and entered the room. 'I wonder who he reminds me of?' 

She looked at him with a cheeky smile. 

'I have no idea. I was always told I was a quiet child.', he replied with a similar cheeky smirk. 

'Somehow I doubt that.'

He came near her, taking the pot away from her hand and placing it down on a nearby stool. They touched each other's hands and he embraced her from behind, his body gently against hers. Tauriel closed her eyes briefly, interlacing her fingers with his and savouring his presence. 

'Soon enough I will be able to take him hunting. And teach him archery.', he spoke with a low, velvety voice.

'Or perhaps I will teach him archery and you will teach him how to wield a sword.'

'Fair enough.', Thranduil replied. 

He turned her towards him slowly, still playing with each other's hands.

'Though I doubt that swords are much useful for us anymore in this place.', Tauriel spoke again. 'But... you never know.'

He smirked at her again as if he was only half-listening, then pulled her by the hand and into his lap, as he sat on a large, kingly armchair. She surrendered, her eyes gazing upon him as his hand slipped under her dress, caressing her tight gently with his fingers. Tauriel gasped. He had a way with her that made her unable to want to resist him once he was in her proximity. He was always taking her by surprise with his presence and his touches and they were making her knees weak every damn time. 

'What if Galion comes in?', she asked absently, whispering against his cheek.

'Then I might just have to use a sword again.'

She smirked and Thranduil studied her with an intensity she was now used to, while taking one of her red tresses between his fingers.

'You would have been a great Queen. I regret not marrying you sooner.'

Tauriel looked at him clearly taken aback by his words, though she replied with a smile while caressing his hair:

'I don't. I never wanted to be Queen. I only wanted to be yours.'

She looked into his clear, blue eyes with sincerity, then leaned into a kiss, taking their time as if nothing in the world was rushing them. 

The next day, a warm sunshine was enveloping the hills and woodlands around Thranduil's house. Tauriel was in the garden, gathering leaves from the medicinal plants to make tonics and use them in cooking, when horses were heard nearby, the sounds drawing in closer.