𝓼𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷 | Two Young Alphas

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
KINGSLEY CYRUS
ALPHA OF THE AZURE PACK
BELOVED FATHER AND MATE
MAY AURELIA SMILE UPON YOU

Even as Gil stood in front of the entire pack to be inaugurated as the new Alpha, he couldn't stop seeing his father's tomb. It was as if the words hadn't been etched into stone, but rather into his still-stinging eyes.

Standing at his side, Alex wrapped their hand around his and squeezed it reassuringly. Stay strong. They were both dressed in ceremonial Azure garb: floor-length, sky-blue robes and wreaths of white roses—simpler and far less ostentatious than whatever the Sanguine Pack did for their "coronations." Gil gave himself the slightest shake of the head—don't think about that right now. A snow-white rose petal fell onto his shoulder, and Alex brushed it off as they proceeded with the inauguration.

In truth, Gil could have become Alpha three years ago—was technically supposed to, in fact. According to the Order of Dijon, it was customary for the next Alpha and Luna in line to step up as soon as one or both of the current pair passed away. It wasn't even that Gil hadn't found his mate yet; when Luna Elijah died, Gil and Alex had long since chosen each other as mates, and Alex's healing powers manifested immediately. It was because, at the time, Gil and Alex were sixteen and fifteen respectively. Alpha Kingsley could not in good conscience force the burden of governing an entire pack upon two children. He had wanted the two of them to enjoy their youth, as they deserved—as everyone deserves.

Lizzie had been quiet for most of the funeral, sitting still and solemn by Gil's side. It was only during the burial that she spoke—exactly twice. Upon seeing Kingsley's freshly dug grave beside his mate Elijah's, she clutched her brother's arm and whispered, "At least they're together again." And then, at the very end of the service: "We're orphans now, Gil." A single tear had slid down her cheek.

Gil snapped out of his thoughts to find himself being led by Alex out of the ceremonial hall. The audience had already cleared out—after all, the Azure Pack was recovering from a devastating defeat; there were the wounded to tend to, damages to be repaired. Together, they returned to their shared suite. As soon as they were inside, Alex collapsed onto the living room couch in weariness.

Bending down, Gil brushed a few wayward strands of sandy-blond hair out of Alex's eyes, tucking them behind their ear. He frowned; they looked pale and drawn. Exhausted. "Are you okay?"

Alex gave a long, drawn-out sigh. "There's just so much to do." They counted on their fingers. "I have to go back to the ER to see if there's anything else I can do to help out over there. We have to survey the property damage in both Lazuli and Cerul and begin rebuilding. There's a mountain of paperwork to do now that we're in charge. We might even have to worry about Dijon representatives coming over to chew us out for only just now becoming Alpha and Luna, or for violating single combat procedures, or even for that little stunt Silvia played with the Sanguine boy. Shit, we have to deal with Silvia! And I also have to go talk to my parents" —Gil winced inadvertently, though thankfully, Alex didn't seem to notice— "and let them know I'm still alive and reassure everyone I'm not going to fuck up and destroy this whole pack or something—"

Gil sat down next to Alex and smoothed their furrowed brow. "Relax, love. We can start with all that tomorrow—"

Alex shot up from the couch and rushed into their bedroom to change. "I'm going back to the hospital now," they called out, hastily stripping off their ceremonial robes and throwing on scrubs. They scurried about, gathering their things. "Gil, I'd better see you in bed and asleep by the time I get back. You'd better not just sit there and overthink things—"

Gil couldn't help but laugh. "I'm overthinking?"

Alex hopped into their shoes, almost tripping over their own long, gangly legs in the process. "Don't!" They stepped outside and shut the door. A second later, they raced back inside and pecked Gil on the lips. "Get some rest. I'll take care of everything for the time being." And then they left, for real this time.