Love is Madness

"John what is going on?" he asked, his voice quivering. I knew he would never kill me, but he might kill Sherlock, and that was just as bad if not worse.

"He's real!" I said with an almost maniacal laugh, hugging Sherlock from behind. Sherlock didn't let his guard down though; he didn't want me to get hurt.

"Who is he, where is the rest of him?" Greg demanded. His face was pale and terrified; to see his best friend kissing a partially formed boy over the body of a dead man must not be something you're supposed to be prepared for. The worst that was supposed to come between us were girls, not murders.

"My name is Sherlock Holmes; I'm the voice inside the book." Sherlock explained. "Please, put the gun down so we can talk this out." Greg didn't move though, he looked, if possible, even more terrified.

"You're the psychopath!" he declared, pointing out the obvious really. Of course Sherlock was the psychopath; this was his bloody cave lair.

"Can we please do this like civilized human beings?" Sherlock begged.

"You're no human." Greg decided.

"He answered our questions, but he's so much more than that! The last month I've dedicated to talking to him, coming to Hogwarts with him." I pointed out, smiling tauntingly at Greg.

"You mean he was in the book?" Greg asked.

"It's a complicated story that I'd be perfectly happy with sharing with you, just please, don't hurt John." Sherlock insisted.

"He's dangerous!" Greg yelled.

"No he's not." I assured.

"John please, you need to trust me this one time. Your parents are worried sick about you, he's a murderer get away!"

"He only killed because he had to, that's what they don't put in the articles."

"Why did you come down here?" Sherlock asked, raising his hands to show that he was unarmed. 

"Your mom sent for me, sobbing for me to go find you, she's worried sick." Greg pointed out.

"Don't you see I don't care about that anymore? I don't need her, Dad, even you, I've got Sherlock now." I pointed out.

"You don't mean that, this isn't you!" Greg defended.

"I haven't been me for a long time; you've been too thick to see it."

"I will shoot him!" Greg defended.

"I'm merely a spirit at the moment; it won't do much until the process is complete." Sherlock sighed. I pulled the gun from my pocket, waving it around in the air for Greg to see.

"Don't be stupid Greg, I'm armed too." I pointed out. The safety was still on, but he didn't need to know that. I wouldn't shoot Greg either, even though he was nothing to me now he was still my best friend, and I couldn't have that weight on my shoulders. The truck driver was nothing, a pawn in this complicated yet magical game of chess.

"You're William Holmes, the man who killed those six people?" Greg asked.

"That is me." Sherlock agreed.

"What do you want with John?" he demanded.

"We met in the book, and I'm pleased to say we have what you would call a bond now." Sherlock admitted.

"I love him." I clarified, my voice strong and confident. I didn't want to hide behind Sherlock, but it seemed like if I tried to move he would just move with me. The scared boyfriend, it warmed my heart.