Frosty Palace

After ditching the pep rally I went to the frosty palace. I didn't know where else to go, my parents expected me to be at the school and I couldn't explain to the why I left. So here I am in the almost empty diner, drinking a milkshake and rethinking all my choices.

I know Susan's just upset and is looking for any reason to be more upset, but how can you publicly humiliate someone like that? But what else can I do, they are the only way to get though the year.

The pep rally must be over because the diner starting filling with people, I really just wanted to go home at this point, so I quickly finished my drink and left. I had just managed to weave my way through all the people and cars when I ran into someone. They were running and the impact was hard, making me fall flat on the ground.

"Watch where you're-" I started to yell but then I looked up and saw Cynthia. "Oh- I'm so sorry!" She said frantically, trying to help me up. "Why are you in such a rush?" I asked. "Im just trying to get home." She replied. "Me too. Rough night?" She nodded, "Yeah. After what happened at the pep rally, I-" "what happened at the pep rally? I left early." I guess something pretty big. "The t-birds said they would let me join them if I came up with a plan to get back at those stupid socs for embarrassing Richie... no offense, but your friends are awful." She explained. "I don't even know if they're my friends anymore. Not after they wanted to embarrass Jane like that."

After walking for a while I realized Cynthia and I should have parted ways by this point, she's walking in the opposite direction from her house. "You don't go this way." "I'm walking you home" She replied. "You really don't have to-" "I'm walking you home." Alright then. We just kept walking in silence. It's so weird, we used to be able to talk for hours, talk about anything and everything, and now we're struggling to find even one thing to talk about.

Cynthia was the first to speak, "so... are you caught up on the English assignment?" I just looked at her, that was the best she could come up with? She continued, "Look, I'm strapped for conversation here and you like books." I laughed, "After Of Mice and Men, Animal Farm, and The Catcher in the Rye, Little Women is an amazing change. I'm on my third re-read." I glanced over at Cynthia, she was just staring at me, smiling. "What?" I asked, "Nothing. That's just very you." I looked down, it's weird, our dynamic is the same as it used to be but now I get this weird feeling when she's around. She spoke again, "I didn't mind it at first, I actually kind of liked it. Jo was cool, then she got into all that love crap, I couldn't get through it."

That conversation broke the ice and we were back to exactly how I remember us being. But eventually we arrived at my house. "This is me. Thank you, you turned my really bad night into a pretty okay one." I said and hugged Cynthia. She tensed up for a second then hugged back. That feeling came back. I told her goodnight then started walking up my driveway, hearing a soft "goodnight" as I walked into my house.

I was greeted by my mom. "Was that Cynthia out there?" She asked. "Yes" I replied. "I didn't know you two were still friends." "I'm really tired. Im going to sleep, I'll talk to you tomorrow." I said, quickly walking up the stairs. Its not that I didn't want to tell me mom what had happened that night, but it's a long story and she just wouldn't understand.

lying in bed I couldn't sleep, all I could do is think. I couldn't be friends with Cynthia again and keep my other friends, and they have been really rude the past couple of days, and Cynthia and I have always been great friends for one another. But Susan, Dot, Rosemary, and Pearl have been with me through the past 6 years, through everything. I don't know what to do.