Vote Pink

The next morning went as usual except I didn't have any friends now. I had to walk to school and had no one to sit with in class most of the day. Right before our assembly for student council speeches Susan, Dot, and Rosemary stopped me in the hallway.

"Ella!" Rosemary called out, "We forgive you for what happened last night."Dot continued, "you're so important to us El, we don't what to lose you just because of a small disagreement." 'Small disagreement' right, because me not wanting to be a part of ruining someones reputation is a small disagreement. But they are my friends, and I know they do care about me. And I care about them. Then Susan spoke up, "Of course if you do anything like that again we can't speak to you again." Of course. "Sit with us at the assembly?" Dot asked. I can't say no to Dot, she's my best friend. "Of course" I replied. We went into the gym, I sat in between Dot and Susan, and we waited for the assembly to start

"I want to promise you all that nothing like the shenanigans of last night's pep rally will ever happen again. As the current class president, I take responsibility for that. I failed you. But know that because I failed you, I will work harder than ever to win back your trust." Buddy was giving his speech, and honestly, I didn't really believe him. I had always liked Buddy, but this week has changed how I think about so many things. Everyone around me then started to chant "let's have fun like we did before, vote for Buddy in '54!" Susan gripped my arm until I joined in. I always knew that it was bad if Susan was mad at you, but I didn't know how bad it could be.

Miss McGee quieted everyone down and uncounted the start of the speeches for student council candidates. First up was Jane, but she told Miss McGee she didn't want to run. That was until someone called her a slut in front of everybody and she ran up onto the stage.

"I just wanna say that I don't think Rydell was so fun for everyone before. It wasn't for me. And I know it hasn't been for a lot of kids who don't fit in for whatever reason, 'cause we're considered strange or the wrong type. The truth is that most people in this auditorium aren't popular. Some don't even want to be. We just wanna be ourselves but we haven't even gotten the chance to do that yet or to have fun. 'Cause we're too busy just trying to survive high school."

She was perfectly putting into words what I had been feeling this whole week. So continued, "Maybe you've accepted that. Maybe you're used to things being that way at Rydell. As the new girl, I'll tell you, it's crap." Miss Mcgee interrupted her, "Jane, if you're not going to run-" "I endorse her." I looked over to see Olivia Valdovinos walking up to stand with Jane. Then Susan butted in "You can't endorse her. She isn't running for anything." "Well, maybe she should. I endorse her too." Cynthia stood up and also went to the stage, then Nancy saying "me three."

Everyone started shouting until Miss McGee hushed them and turned back to Jane "Now, Jane, would you like to throw your hat back into the ring?" "Yes." She answered, "For president." Woah. Her announcement was followed by more chatter and booing. Jane could make an actual change here; but I can't support it with my friends. Everything following happened so fast. I looked back at the stage and immediately locked eyes with Cynthia. Cynthia, the realest friend I've had. I shifted in my seat. Susan grabbed my arm and whispered "if you say anything we will never talk to you again." Honestly, I'm okay with that.

I stood up, shaking Susan's hand off me and yelled "vote for Jane" as loud as I could. The 4 girls up front looked at me and Cynthia repeated "vote for Jane", turned around, and pulled down her skirt, mooning the whole school. I immediately turned my head to face the other way, trying not to laugh as everyone gasped. When I turned back, the girls were running off the stage and were headed towards the door to the parking lot. Cynthia quickly changed course towards me, grabbed my hand and pulled me with them.

We ran outside and Olivia found the keys to the t- birds car (expertly hidden one top of the front seat) and hopped behind the wheel. We all followed, Jane jumping in the front seat and Cynthia pulling me into the back. I tried to jump over the car door but my shoe got caught, making me fall forward. Into Cynthia. We were both shocked, our noses touching and our eyes wide. I got a really weird feeling being so close to her. It didn't make sense, we used to sit close all the time, its just what friends do. Maybe I just wasn't used to being friends with her again. Olivia started to car and we all took off, snapping Cynthia and I out of, whatever that was.

"Holy smokes! What did we just do?!" Jane asked. "We just gave the best campaign speech in all of Rydell!" Olivia answered. "We just stole a car!" I said, the reality of the situation just now setting in. "And it was amazing" Cynthia chimed in. "And we looked great doing it" Nancy said. "What am I going to do? No one's going to vote for me now." Jane said, seemingly also regretting what we had done. "You have a great platform, Jane. The socs have been controlling Rydell for too long, people will like what you said" Olivia stated. She made a lot of sense, and people do love someone who breaks the rules. "You're like a vigilante. Steal from the rich give to the poor type stuff. People like that. We can work with it." I spoke up, running through different campaign strategies in my head. The Jane spoke again, "maybe you're right. But I didn't do this speech alone, I can't do my campaign alone." "The 5 of us together could really shake up this school" Cynthia said. Jane sat there fro a minute before saying the sentence that would change it all:

"We're gonna need some jackets"