Chapter 2: A Huge Mistake

I walk back to my room with Ahmed in my arms.  I didn't have to attend the banquet, I just wanted to go because it apparently was very important. I put Ahmed in his rocking crib, singing a soft tune to make sure he falls asleep  Choosing a white, simple dress that clung to my curves perfectly, I go over to the mirror and start brushing my hair.  I grabbed a wig that cropped my hair and gave me bangs, I thought I looked cute.  I redid my kohl along my eyes and added some blue pigment to my eyelids.   

                       "You two make sure he doesn't get out, Aila will come to check on him soon."  I say to my cats.  Aila, a very old friend of mine, was an elderly maid that usually babysat for servants who had kids.  Tonight she offered to watch over Ahmed while I was at the banquet.  She had been the Princes nanny when they were younger so she had a lot of respect from all the servants.  Anyone who could keep the two Princes in check definitely deserved some respect.  I check over my appearance one last time before slipping my sandals on and leaving to go to the banquet.  I run through the empty halls, arriving much faster than I usually would have.  Slipping through a side door, I find Femi in a crowd of people and quietly stand next to her.

                "What did I miss?" I whisper.  Femi looks over in alarm at me, then realizing who I was, she smiles.

                "Girl!  Look at you!  You are smokin' hot!"  I blush as she takes in my appearance.  She leans over and whispers in my ear, "I bet even Prince Rameses couldn't resist you."  I blush even harder and gently push her.

                "Femi!"  She smirks at my comment and pretends to flutter her eyelashes and pucker her lips.  I roll my eyes.  Gods, that girl was so annoying, yet she was my best friend.

                "Okay, okay, fine."  She says and I sigh and hug her.

                "Now could you please tell me what's going on?"  I ask her again.

                 "Prince Rameses is being named Prince Regent!"  I look back and focus my attention on his speech.  Me and Femi were in a secluded corner, we were the only servants there, at least that I knew of.  Suddenly, everyone started clapping and we joined along.  I wasn't able to hear why everyone was clapping, but I just kept clapping.  Pharaoh and Queen Tuya turned to look at the curtains behind them, and in came Rameses and Moses.  I laughed as their faces looked shocked and confused.  The idiots had probably just arrived.  Queen Tuya hugged them and whispered something, Rameses's face brightened immediately and he walked over to his father.  Moses ran over to his father and brother and shouted something that everybody could hear.

                    "My Lord Pharaoh. I propose that the high priests offer tribute to their new regent."  Pharaoh smiled and he yelled over to the priests.

                     "An excellent idea. Hotep! Huy!"  The two snakes discussed something before Hotep ran over to take center stage.  I rolled my eyes as I knew what he was doing.  Another one of their 'magic' shows to impress the Princes.  I knew they were just cheap tricks to keep the crowd amazed.

                   "By the power of Ra, we present for your delegation and delight, an exotic apparition stolen from a faraway land."  He waved his hands and a large smoke cloud appeared, when it cleared up, it revealed a wall of sorts.  Femi giggled in delight as she watched the whole thing with interest.  The wall dropped down, revealing a beautiful Midian girl on a camel.  I gasped when I saw her tied up hands.  She was a slave!  She looked around, her face full of panic, she was struggling with her tied hands.  When she came to look at me, I smiled at her.  She had a helpless expression on her face.  I glared at the high priests as they looked at the Midian girl with smug expressions.  I absolutely hated slavery.  Before I came to the palace, I had been a slave, so of course it was a coincidence that my dead husband had been a slave enforcer.  What people do for love amazes me.