Chapter Three- It Was A Bad Time

As expected, the first week of class was about as Taylor remembered freshman year being. Frustrating, confusing, and a little bit embarrassing. She'd shown up late to half her lectures because she kept getting lost, and ended up walking into a sophomore-year physics class somehow. Taylor wasn't even sure she had any classes in that building.

But at least it was done and over with and with only a handful of assignments to boot. Taylor threw herself back onto her twin-sized mattress and exhaled deeply, letting her body finally relax after a long day of running around campus. The stress had drained her in ways she almost forgot about, but honestly? It was nice to have something to do.

And Karlie was a fantastic roommate. She was neat and tidy and didn't mind when Taylor stayed up late or played guitar. Karlie even liked baking for the two of them, which Taylor was more than happy about.

All in all, it wasn't the worst start ever. Taylor even smiled a bit. She wasn't sure if she was going to be doing that any time soon, but there she was with her lips turned upward as she stared at the ceiling. There was homework to be done, but honestly? It could wait. She had three days to do it, and she really just wanted to relax.

Her eyes drifted open as the door creaked open and then shut. The sudden loud noise startled Taylor, and much to her surprise, she realized she had fallen asleep with all her clothes still on. Footsteps approached the room, which forced Taylor to sit up, though she still felt confused as to what year it was.

Karlie entered the room with a purple backpack slung over one shoulder. She made eye contact with Taylor, then paused and gave a lopsided smirk. "Hey, did I wake you?"

Taylor licked her sleep-dried lips and shook her head, trying to clear the sleepiness away. "No, no... Well, yeah, but I hadn't meant to fall asleep."

"Busy day?"

"Yeah," Taylor admitted with a sigh as she rubbed her eyes. They stung and she cursed under her breath for being so stupid as to leave her contacts in. It was probably best to take out the contacts and switch to glasses for the rest of the day. As Taylor stood up to head to the bathroom, she asked, "How was yours?"

"Good," Karlie responded from the room. "Some guy in my programming class kept bugging me, which was a little annoying though. I swear, college is just like high school except everyone is a little older."

Taylor snorted. She knew that all too well. "High school never ends." She looked in the mirror and cringed at herself. She'd never been a pretty sleeper, and apparently, that went for hour-long naps. Her hair stuck up at the back and lost some of its straightness. It curled messily in some places and frizzed in others. How annoying. "Why didn't you tell me I looked so bad!"

"I thought it was cute!"

With a shake of her head, Taylor proceeded to take out her contacts and moistened her irritated eyes with eye drops. She tried to flatten down her hair a little bit and through her blurred vision, she did the best she could. Content enough, she went back to the room and searched the compartment under her bed for her glasses, then put them on.

"Oh my God," Karlie squeaked, drawing Taylor's attention. She smiled so widely it made her squint. "You look adorable with your hair like that and glasses!"

Taylor ducked her head and felt a blush creeping up to her face. She wasn't sure what to say so she said nothing and instead looked down at her lap. She didn't really like her natural hair, that much was true, and she'd been straightening it for years. She thought it'd get boys to like her, and it did, but...

Well, straightening my hair didn't straighten me out, she thought with an inward laugh.

Much to her surprise, the bed dipped next to her. Taylor looked up to see Karlie sitting to her right. The shifting of the bed made Taylor slide over slightly so that their shoulders touched.