3. The fall of Imbuthara (prelude) part III

Inra cursed and lamented his lost spear. One Dorzar, the only one left on the creature, leaped from the lizard's back and landed atop one of the wall's protrusions. A long spear found a crucial spot in the lizard's throat, and the creature toppled over the wall with a gurgling hiss, smashing a few Dorzar beneath it with a crunching sound when it landed. The Dorzar that now found itself alone on the wall jumped straight for the empty spot the lizard had left in front of the clump of guardsmen. A move made more out of desperation than battle fever. Two Imbutharan spears stifled the growl in its throat, moments after it landed. But more were coming.
Many houses behind the wall had caught fire at this point, the blazing heat stinging his back. Blood, gore and heat filled the night that started out with such peace and quiet. The children and Ila have to be outside by now. Inside the walls, people were running about like scared rabbits. The garrison was gathering in front of the gate, ready to face any and all attacks coming through that gate. It wouldn't resist the steady drum of whatever was pounding it much longer. If only I hadn't yelled at her. It was a strange moment to think of how sad he was that the last words he had said to Ila were angry words. Getting into a fight about whether or not she should stop working at old Amara's house because she was preg- nant. It seemed so... unimportant now. A strange moment to think that he hadn't told his daughters that he loved them enough. That he hadn't told his son he was proud of him often enough. Never enough.

A big lizard-like paw scratched the rocks in front of him with a high- pitched, jarring sound. His knuckles went white under the tighter grip he took on his sword. The sword given to him by Wion'dair. The sword he meant to give to his son. His most prized possession. He slashed at the paw, which split open like thick chain mail. He wondered if an or- dinary sword would have been able to even scratch the scales. He managed to make two deep gashes in the limb before the big snakelike head of the creature emerged in front of him. Two big black slits at the center of its giant yellow eyes, burning with malice, sent his own reflection back at him, spelling out his death in vivid image. A paralyzing, frightening experience. A large forked tongue tasted the air. Rows of sharp teeth shimmered underneath bony scales. From the corners of his eyes he saw at least two more lizards scaling other parts of the wall.
Two Dorzar leaped from the lizard's back before it slipped, the paw no longer able to hold it. The black slit narrowed when the creature started to fall. It screamed as it slid out of sight, its paw powerlessly scratching the stones. An almost human sound, ending in a hiss. A satisfying loud thump rang in his ears. Not what you expected, right lizard? Then the Dorzar with their strange crooked blades were upon him, and he was hard-pressed to stand his ground. Had he not increased his abilities, he would not have stood a chance. They wielded shields with six corners, all of those corners covered in sharpened iron. Those would be almost as deadly as their blades.

The Dorzar were strong and fast. It was all he could do to keep their blades from impaling him. Help came from the soldiers beside him. But there were fewer of them than there should have been. They jumped in at the moment he thought he could hold out no longer. Blades flashed back and forth. Those poor, undertrained fellows didn't stand a chance. Twenty years of experience kicked in. Make them come for you. As soon as they leave an opening... One of the Dorzar lurched out, its face a sickening snarl. Sidestepping the blade Inra slashed its leg from underneath it. Another thrust slashed its throat to shreds as the Dorzar began to topple. The creature thrashed once, then it lay still on the stones. All around him battle bloomed with reeking blossoms.

He stood alone, facing the last Dorzar that had come up with the lizard. The vicissitudes of battle had opened up a stretch of wall for them that spanned several meters. Two steps to the side, and he was clear of any bodies that could hinder him. The Dorzar was big. Its hairy front paws with the large claws seemed a little too long for its hind legs. It was as broad in the shoulders as any grown man, but with a hunched back and hips that seemed too small in comparison. A large hairy tail flicked back and forth behind it. His nostrils caught the foul stench of dirty dog, and Inra wrinkled his nose in disgust. Suddenly the Dorzar barked out a terrible howling laugh. Inra felt shivers running down his spine at that laugh. The laugh of a creature that has nothing to lose.