AVA

On Monday after my second period I took Ava to see Tristine at lunch. We were walking down the hallway towards the door that leads to the roof as she was walking close behind me looking down at my feet. 

"Um.. Hope whe-where we going?"

"Oh to the roof that's where I eat my lunch now."

"I didn't know we were allowed on the roof?"

I nodded my head as I opened the door for her as we both went through the door we walked upstairs towards another door that leads outside on to the roof. I opened the door the first thing you see is Tristine in her usual spot glancing down from the roof.

"Hey Tristine."

I got her attention and she said hi but then also pointed at something which I clearly didn't get what she was pointing to until she said something. 

"Is the girl behind you all right or..."

I turn my head behind me and I see Ava sitting on the ground like a ball with her face hiding behind her legs, I got down to her level and patted her. 

"Um are you alright?"

She was shaking but she lifted her head up a little bit to the point I could see her green eyes. It took a minute for her to speak but I finally got the answer. 

"S-sorry.. I'm i'm just really.. Afraid of height."

"Oh. If that was the case why didn't you mention anything before we got up here?"

Ava put her head back completely down and started talking again. 

"I didn't want you to be mad at me or hate me so I tried sucking it up.. But as soon as we got up here.. I kind of panicked."

"Oh, but hey it's ok why would I be mad at you for something you can't help? Besides it isn't so bad up here look there are fences around the roof so you wouldn't fall."

I brought Ava up on her two feet again and made our way to where Tristine was, who of course was listening in to the whole conversation we just had. 

"Tristine this is Ava the girl I had been talking about."

"Nice to meet you Ava." 

Tristine said as she looked towards the sky. This girl.. no hand shake or smile? I saw Ava struggling to say hi but she managed to get it done. 

"H- H- Hi Tristine it's a pleasure to meet you" As Ava Was bowing her head like Tristine was some queen.

I sat next to Tristine as Ava sat next to me at the fence. As we began eating our lunches well besides Tristine she was just staring at the ground. 

"Hey Ava?"

Ava turned her head as Tristine got her attention. "Did you know if you were to fall down from here you probably wont make it out alive."

Ava dropped a piece of food from her mouth and became dead silent. What the hell Tristine why would you say that to a girl who is afraid of heights??

"Tristine you're not helping!"

"Huh I thought it was funny?"

"What do you mean funny?!? What part of that was funny?!"

"Hope I don't understand why you are so angry when it should be her getting angry with me.."

"Why you little-"

Me and Tristine stopped bickering as we both heard Ava start laughing as we turned our heads in her direction. She tried to stop laughing and quickly apologized which I stated that she didn't need to apologize I'm just glad she was happy. 

"Ava i'm sorry if this is a touchy subject but were you always like this?"

"Tristine!"

This girl can't read the room. Why would she put it like that though? Before I was about to chew Tristine out more Ava started speaking. 

"T- to be honest I wasn't always like this when I was in elementary school I wa- was perfectly fine talking to people and being a- able to say what I want freely. but things have changed when most of my friends decide to leave town or go to different schools. I ended up being all alone at that point i started to feel self conscious of how others would see me. There were times I never wanted to tend high school I just wanted to be home schooled but my mother wouldn't allow it she said if i do that i would be putting myself into more isolation.. but isn't it mean? Why can't i do work at home instead of being reminded that I am alone when a bunch of students my age are having fun with their friends around me..?"

"Ava.."

"But atleast.. I'm not completely alone I got my mother and my older sister She was the one who made sure I wasn't completely alone. but then you showed up and tried to get to know me and for that I am grateful and when you said you were my friend I-I can't explain how happy that makes me feel thank you.. Hope."

I didn't know what to say to her, but I do know this girl was just talking to me about hardships she had to face and the pain she was in suffering alone. I was even more shocked that she was able to have the courage to say all that.. and yet I was angry at myself I can't believe i didn't ask the question but Tristine did..

I patted Ava on the shoulder and smiled "I guess this means it's a new start for you Ava and look at that you made two new friends now"

"I never said I was her friend though."

"Tristine! You're not helping! She is though don't mind her."

Ava smiled and started laughing as me and Tristine began to fight again and throughout that lunch period it felt so relieving and it might have felt like weight has been lifted off of Ava's chest too. 

To Be Continued.