Chapter 2

Chapter 2

3 years later

It's been three years since I moved to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina with Jamie. (Quick authors note: for any of you who are fans of the movie The Last Song with Miley Cyrus, it's the beach where they filmed the movie)

I've made two friends, Bea and Rowan.

The house Jamie and I are living in is right on the beach, a half a mile down from the boardwalk that has a carnival open all summer long.

The town itself is fairly small, a population of only 400 people. The town is so small the high school is on the far edge of the town, on the border of the next town so kids from each town could attend.

"Ry!" Jamie called from the kitchen. Shutting my book, I pushed myself up from my bed and walked out into the kitchen. The house was one floor, two bedrooms, a bathroom, the living room, dining room and kitchen all on the same floor.

"Yeah?" I sat down on the stool in front of the kitchen island.

He turned to face me, eyes fixed on a small piece of paper in his hand, "Need you to pick up some stuff for me at the market."

"No problem, I was heading down there anyways." I took the list from his hand and turned around to grab my bag off the coat rack, looking over the list.

"Lot of stuff on here, who's coming over?" I asked, slinging the purse over my shoulder.

"Just Jed, Howie and Wes." He answered.

I looked at him, "Wes?" I'd never heard the name before.

"Yeah, Howie and I met him at the skate park, he was pulling some awesome moves. Thought he was pretty cool, invited him over to watch the game." He responded, still sorting through the mail he had thrown to the windowsill since Monday.

"Oh yeah? Anyways, I'm sleeping over at Bea's house, probably won't be back until late tomorrow afternoon."

Turning to face me, he rested against the counter and crossed his arms, "And this wouldn't have to do with the epic waves coming in tonight, would it?"

I smiled and looked down, something I always do before I tell a lie.

"Knew it." He smirked, uncrossing his arms and turning back to the white envelopes.

After meeting Bea, her interest in surfing rubbed off on me and we began to surf together. Rowan wasn't really into the water, she would sit on the beach and write in the leather journal she never let either me nor Bea even touch.

"You know me to well, Jamie." I chuckled.

"Well duh." He responded which caused me to laugh.

"So can I go?" I asked abruptly.

He was silent for a few moments, debating his answer. "Yeah I guess, just be careful, alright? And come home after you're done, I'll be up."

"Deal," I smiled, "be right back with the groceries."

"Hurry up!" He called after me, "I need to start dinner!"

I pulled the door closed behind me and began on my walk down the beach and to the town.

I decided to take off my shoes as I walked along the beach. I loved the feel of the warm sand underneath my feet.

Pulling both flip flops off my feet, I gripped them in my hand and began to walk again, feeling the warm, clean sand beneath my feet.

My serenity was soon interrupted when someone slammed into my side.

"Oomph!" I cried out as my back made contact with the once perfect sand. Now it just felt lumpy and awkward beneath me.