Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Riley's Point of View

Biting my lip, I dropped my bag to the ground by the door and twirled back around to shove the screen open.

I walked along the beach until I got to the boardwalk. I walked to the small ice stand and ordered a grape-flavored ice.

Paying the two dollars I owed, I walked down the boardwalk, looking over the items people had put out in front of their stores.

I stopped at a book stand, looking over a comic book I had never seen before. It looked interesting, I decided it would be a good edition to my collection.

"I never thought of you as a comic book person." His voice beside me made me jump.

"Sorry." Wes chuckled after observing how he startled me.

I simply nodded, a small blush tinting my cheeks as a smile etched onto my face. I tucked a piece of my straight brown hair behind my ear.

"That's a good one, I've read it." He commented on the book in my hands.

"You like comic books?" I inquired.

"Are you kidding? Books without long boring paragraphs that drag on and on and on? It's basically my childhood dream."

I laughed as a response.

"Hey, you don't need to buy that book, I'll lend you my copy. It's at my place, c'mon, I'll lend it to you." He took my hand and pulled me down the boardwalk and beach until we reached a small hut located in a quiet place on the beach about fifteen minutes from the noisy boardwalk. I threw out my now finished ice in a garbage pail along the way.

The only thing in my line of eyesight was the lighthouse a mile off, the noisy and exciting boardwalk along with the rest of civilization being drowned out by the sky in the distance.

He pushed open the screen door to the hut and as we entered I immediately notified the rich dark wood of the floor and the brown paint of the walls. It was like a lovely cave.

He walked me over to a tall bookshelf reaching the ceiling and spreading out along the width of the back wall of the living room, behind the sofa.

He grabbed a step stool, standing on the top step to reach the top shelf on the far right. He descended from his high position to smile at me as he handed me the book.

I took it between my hands and flipped through the pages in perfect condition.

"Thank you so much, I really appreciate it." My sudden words filled the silence abruptly.

"It's just a book Riley." He chuckled.

"Not just for this, for saving me earlier also. I didn't properly thank you." I answered.

He looked at me intently, brushing a strand of hair that had fallen forward behind my ear, "A pretty face like yours should always be rescued."

His usual humorous demeanor that had filled the air only seconds before suddenly vanished, a serious one taking its place as his eyes flickered from my eyes to my lips.

He seemed unsure of himself. But I was sure.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling his lips to mine and smiling.

His arms went around my lower back, pulling me closer to him.

He wasn't like my previous boyfriends since I moved down here. I didn't close my eyes to imagine not having my lips on his, I closed them to savor the softness of his lips against mine.