𝐢.

𓇽

𓇽

ʲᵘˡⁱᵉᵗᵗᵉ'ˢ ᵖᵒᵛ

MOM AND I HAVE BEEN GOING TO Susannah's beach house in Cousins ​​every summer since I was a baby, since before I was even born.

All year, when I should be caught up in the hustle and bustle of city life in New York, I'm counting down the days until I'm back in that house.

Our Dads, they come and visit, but it's not their place. They don't belong there, not in the same way we do, the mothers and the children, the way we like it.

The summer house is made up of a lot of things.

The beach, where I lay all day in the sun with a book in my hand, or where I'd stand in the water and let my mind clear itself in the serenity of the sea. Where I would watch the Fishers and Conklins play while I kept to myself searching for seashells and sand dollars. Where Jeremiah would kick my sandcastles to egg me on. Where I had my first sip of beer and my first dance with drunken partygoers.

The Swimming Pool, where I first learned how to swim. Where we play chicken until our stomachs hurt from laughter. Where I spend my early mornings with my earbuds in and a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Movie nights with the moms where I curl up next to my mom and Susannah. Where belly and I would argue over who gets the best blanket.

most of all, the boys and belly.

It's the same every summer, I'll always love that about it.

Pretty much, everything good, everything worth smiling for happens between the months of June and August.

𓇽

Juliette had propped her phone against her vanity, on a FaceTime call with Belly and Taylor as Belly and Juliette packed for the summer house.

' Cruel Summer ' played in the background of the call from Belly's room while Juliette had her 1989 vinyl playing on her record player quietly.

"Drew's mad bummed you're missing the beach matchup with the boys' team next weekend." Juliette heard Taylor's voice in the background as she and Belly simultaneously packed their things for the summer house.

"Make sure you tell Sophie to square up for the block." Belly turned away from the camera, a neon top in her hand as she informed Taylor of the volleyball strategy.

"Belly!" Juliette Laughed, "Taylor is telling you that a boy is texting her about you and you're talking about volleyball?"

"Thank you, Jules! Belly, are you, like, serious right now?" Taylor scoffed, a laugh escaping her lips.