Part 4: Colorado

This plane crash takes us to the state of Colorado, which is located next to the following states: Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona.

WARNINGS OF A PLANE CRASH

 Pictured above is the sister aircraft of the accident plane

On the 30th of June 1951, United Airlines Flight 610, registered as November 37543 (N37543), was a US transcontinental passenger flight that started at San Fransisco International Airport (IATA: SFO, ICAO: KSFO), San Francisco, California to Oakland International Airport (IATA: OAK, ICAO: KOAK), Oakland, California to Salt Lake City International Airport (IATA: SLC, ICAO: KSLC), Salt Lake City, Utah to Denver International Airport (IATA: DEN, ICAO: KDEN), Denver, Colorado and finally to Chicago O'Hare International Airport (IATA: ORD, ICAO: KORD), Chicago, Illinois, the service was being flown by the Douglas DC-6 aircraft Mainliner overland Trail, that crashed in Larimer County, northwest of Denver, Colorado, all 50 people on board the plane were killed in the crash.

Flight 610 departed Salt Lake City at 12:11am local time en route to Denver, at around 1:47am local time, the flight reported to ATC that it had passed the Cheyenne raid orange station and they requested a lower altitude, which was granted down to 8,500 feet, at that point the plane was scheduled to make a right turn or intercept the 168 degree course lines of the Denver low frequency range and then proceed to the WONT intersection, which was it's next clearance limit, to intercept that course line, the plane turned to a heading of approximately 210 degrees, which was a proper intercept angle of almost 45 degrees, if the pilot had configured his audio selector switch properly, he would have been able to hear the aural Morse Code identifier of "A (*-)", for the north side of that low frequency range, as the plane neared the course line itself, the crew would have been able to hear the "N (-*)" identifier, the signal to turn left again and they could track the 168 degrees course line to the WONT intersection, however the plane didn't turn left, it remained on a 210 degree intercept until impact, at 2:00am local time, the DC-6 crashed into Crystal Mountain, about 50 miles (80 kilometres) north northwest of Denver, the plane skidded to a stop and it burst into flames.

The summary of the crash was Controlled Flight into Terrain.