Chapter One | A Beginning (Part 3 of 3)

"Does it hurt less?"

          Just as it was awkward having him kneel in front of you to check your ankle, it's just as uncomfortable having to sit still while he treats the injury, ticklish body leading you to squirm and being alone with him forcing you to hold that feeling back.

          Perhaps you're at the balcony, but the streets are empty, and you figure they'll stay that way until school and work end.

          "...You good? You've been quiet for a while now."

          Though you know he's asking you questions and that questions require answers , nothing comes out – not a word, and not a whine. Your throat has closed up, and any attempt at saying something results in your heart racing until it hurts. Either that, or your voice breaks, and all that exits is a mumble.

          "Hey," Sans calls out, the change in his tone compelling you to look at him. "I'm sorry about-"

          He cuts himself as his phone rings, and once he answers, he holds it out for you.

          "Frisk."

          You take the phone and press it close to your ear, sighing.

          "...Yes, dear?"

          You hear hustle and bustle from the other line: teenagers shouting and laughing, a few teachers telling them to be quiet, loud and quick footsteps, and sneakers screeching against the floors.

          "Cuz I know you're busy and stuff… Could I stay at Miss Toriel's place?"

          "Your teacher's home?"

          It's surprising to have them speaking so fluidly like this when you assume they're at a place far from peaceful, so you take that as a positive thing; despite everything, they seem comfortable wherever they're at, and that's good enough for now.

          "Yeah! I met her kid, and they didn't mind when I asked them if I could…"

          You don't realize what's happening until you feel a hand against your back and have the phone taken away.

          You've grown light-headed – more so than when you were showering. And with the tendency to mindlessly walk around while you answer a call, you'd been slowly leaning to the side and headed well on your way to the floor, hadn't you been unintendedly assigned a personal bodyguard today.

          Sans grabs your arm, though he quickly lets you go as soon as you return to a stable posture.

          Then, he checks the ongoing call and presses the phone to where his ear canal is.

          "Hey, kid," Sans says, huffing. "You met your teacher already, didn't you? Miss Toriel?"

          You hear a quiet response from the other line.

          "Your mom's caught a fever, so just keep doing what you were doing. You'll be fine. You've got some money with you, don't ya? Have it handy, in case ya need it for food or somethin'."

          "Sans," you shout, when he plans to hang up. "What are you doing?!"

          Standing up again results in twice the amount of wooziness hitting your face like a punch with no gloves.

          You swallow nausea and bring a hand to your forehead, letting out a pained huff.

          "Alright, so… Sit down."