Chapter Three | The Forest (Part 1 of 2)

Nearly a week passes, and you haven't met with Mayor Holiday to validate your residence here for years to come.

          Nor have you bought the ingredients for the get-together Frisk will be having with their friends.

          Nor have you bought Sans a gift – not even begun to look for it.

          You're far from where you need to be, and you would be farther away from all your responsibilities and debts if it weren't for all the help you received with unpacking. Your second meeting at the school had left you a nervous wreck, fear of messing up taking a heavy toll on your body the second you stepped out of the office. It's been one stressful thing after the other, and it's difficult not to feel powerless when you can barely manage through the smallest and basic things.

          "Have you gone to the hospital yet?" Sans asks, while you're busy deciding what type of cereal to bring home: either the cheap and sugary one Frisk loves, or the healthier alternative at a slightly higher cost.

          Truthfully, you're not sure how to answer his question.

          Because – if you're going to be wholly and utterly sincere with yourself – just how are you supposed to approach someone you've barely gotten to know properly, but who's already had to deal with things unfitting for a stranger?

          There's no one around anymore, so you choose to believe he's specifically waited for the supermarket to be emptied in order to bring that topic up all willy-nilly.

          "Um…" You distract yourself with the cereal box, staring at it with no intention of observing it. "No."

          "Did you get your healthcare sorted out, at least?"

          "...Not yet."

          It's then that being alone feels like a trap.

          You can't bear having to go through a normal conversation with him.

          "Want me to give you a checkup?" he asks, winking. "You can buy me a drink or whatever at the diner, as payment."

          He's being… light-hearted about this, thankfully.

          Had he a penchant for drama, you would imagine an entirely different outcome.

          "Well, if it's alright with you…"

          "Wouldn't be bringing it up, otherwise."

          You grant yourself a moment of peace by closing your eyes and releasing a heavy breath, a hand over your chest.

          "Could we get to know each other better?" you ask, frowning. "After all that happened, it feels… strange, knowing I, well, know so little about you – that we've only just met, and I already owe you a lot. Maybe we could be friends? Or maybe… neighbours on hanging out terms?" You feel your back and palms shed a cold sweat. "Anything that makes this less awkward?"

          A laugh slips by him.

          "Didn't think you'd still be hung up about last week, but, uh… Sure." His gaze falls to the shopping cart. "Are you gonna open up a bakery? You've got enough flour to make food for a whole village."

          "Frisk is having some friends over this weekend," you state, choosing the healthier cereal. "You can come over, if you'd like. I'm planning to invite a few teachers, and any other person I've… managed to speak with a bit? It's weird, cuz I know I'm starting over, and it's only been a week, but…"