Chapter Three | Tunnels

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲

Elijah stared out of the car window, watching for the slightest hint of danger as they drove past each quiet street and gloomy alley. He'd already been in the city too long and he was surprised that Lyca Corp.'s lackeys hadn't caught them at Zoe's apartment. He wasn't taking any more risks, though. The moment he grabbed his things, he was getting as far away from Dawnward as he could.

"So, uh..." Jake said, breaking the tense silence. "Do I get to know more about these guys we're running from?" he asked, glancing at Elijah and then back at Zoe. "El'Vorian security guards or something?"

"Detainers," the demon muttered.

"What's a detainer?" Jake asked.

"They're who Lyca Corp. send out to capture new subjects or recapture missing ones," Elijah revealed.

"So, I was right!" Zoe exclaimed excitedly. "I knew those shady, silver-wearing people were involved." She pulled out her phone and started typing.

Jake sighed. "So, what? Are you here to help Zoe on her hunt for evidence to prove Lyca Corp. is experimenting on Caeleste?"

"No," Elijah grumbled.

Zoe stopped typing. "Could you, though? I know you've already saved my life and stuff, but I'd really appreciate it."

"What does he know that you don't?" Jake questioned curiously.

"I don't know, that's why I'd like his help." She looked at Elijah in the rear-view mirror. "I can pay you in return, Elijah. Or I can...I don't know, promote you on my socials if you're into that. I have a lot of followers."

Elijah's impatience was growing faster with each word either of them said. "Do I look like I have socials?" he snarled irritably. "I've been running and hiding from these people for months."

She frowned as if she'd realized something. "How many months?"

The demon rolled his eyes and glared out the window.

"Because according to my research, the entire Dawnward police force was replaced overnight around seven months ago," Zoe said, typing on her phone again.

Jake nodded. "And since then, thirty-two lycans have gone missing and the police don't seem to care."

"That's what they do," Elijah uttered, clenching his fist. "They set up shop in cities, get access to the Caeleste records, and then pick the best candidates for their programs."

Zoe frowned sadly. "I can maybe offer you protection in return for your help?"

He scoffed at her and shook his head. What could a girl who got herself kidnapped by a bunch of humans possibly offer him in terms of protection?