Chapter Fifteen | Ten Hundred Feet Under

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲

Once he packed his weapons away, Elijah hurried down the hill, and his companions followed. He didn't see any cameras, so it wasn't likely that anyone inside the facility saw what just happened, but he knew that the surface guards checked in every hour with the security inside the lab, so he had to act fast.

"Should we grab a gun?" Jake asked as he stopped beside two of the bodies.

"No. Hurry the fuck up," Elijah snarled in response as he snatched a key card off one of the dead guards.

"W-what if more of them come?" Zoe asked worriedly.

Elijah pulled the radio station door open and ushered them both inside. He then glanced at the clock on the wall. "It's ten past two; these guys check in every hour on the dot, so we've got fifty minutes," he mumbled as he searched around for the entrance to the hidden facility.

"So what do we do now? Is there like a secret hatch or button or something?" the pardus asked as he stroked his paw over a keyboard—

"Don't touch anything," Elijah snapped.

Jake pulled his paw away and gawped at the demon.

Elijah recalled the moment he escaped from the lab that imprisoned him. He remembered climbing what felt like miles of stairs because the elevator was in flames.

"What about in here?" Zoe asked as she pointed to a bathroom door.

Jake scoffed. "You think there's a whole ass lab entrance in—"

Elijah stormed over there and yanked the door open. He stepped inside the cramped stall and looked around, and it didn't take him long to find the grooves in the wall. He tapped his knuckles, and the wall responded with a metallic hum.

This was it.

He searched frantically for the switch which would open it, and it wasn't very well hidden. Why would the toilet have a chain to flush it as well as a handle? The demon grabbed the chain and pulled on it, and when the metal door hidden badly inside the wall shifted and opened, he turned his head to look at Zoe and Jake.

"Stay close. Don't touch anything, don't say a word, and do exactly what I say. Understood?"

Although she looked horrified, Zoe nodded.

"Got it," Jake replied.

He wouldn't waste another moment. Elijah stepped through the doorway and emerged onto a metal landing, and when he peered over the edge, he couldn't see the floor waiting at the bottom of the mountain of stairs. But when he glanced to his left, he set his eyes on the doors of an elevator.

Elijah used the key card he took from the dead guard to open the doors, and then he, Zoe, and Jake got in. He used the card again to close the doors, and then he pulled the lever beside him.