Time travel

There were a few seconds of silence before Jace spoke, walking with his paint-soaked bare feet, and orange footprints all over the clean floor.

"Herondale?? You're a Herondale?" Jace asked him, his eyes wide with great surprise. "I thought Kit and I were the only living Herondales. By the angel, it's like Herondales are popping out of heaven"

"You are a Herondale? It's not possible. I am the only Herondale that -"

"SHUT UP! All of you" It was Alec's voice that cut Will's. "He is not from here. I mean, Will," Alec said turning to Will, "what year is it? Do you have any idea?"

It had been late August and probably the 24th if he is right.

"August 24th. 1884. It's the day I was last in London." Will's words left all 4 of them staring at him, frozen without a blink.

"What's happening?"

It was the redhead girl, with a glass of water and a packet, Will had no idea what was inside.

"Clary, he's a Herondale. A time-traveling Herondale " said Jace, still staring at Will.

Will didn't understand how he could be a traveler in time. He didn't know it was possible, to say the least.

"What do you mean by that?" Will asked hopeless and confused.

"It's isn't 1884 now, Will. It's 2013. Somehow you have come here. William Herondale is your name, is it? Husband of Tessa Gray. Is that right?" It was Alec, and hearing Tessa's name gave a new wave of energy to Will. He didn't imagine anyone in America would know Tessa.

"Of course! Do you know Tessa? You've met my Tessa?" Will asked in enthusiasm.

"Yes, I have. Magnus told me about you. You, you and Tessa. Your life"

"Magnus! Ah!" Will felt a great relief. At last, someone who knows his friend. "You know Magnus? Take me to him if you please. Magnus is a great friend of mine! There is nothing he wouldn't do for me! I am the closest shadowhunter he knows! "

There was silence until Jace started laughing so hard that he splashed another paint bucket.

"I like where this is going," said Jace, muffling in his laugh.

"Shut it, Jace. I'm taking him to Magnus. "

"Now?"

"Of course,  how long do you want to keep him, I mean look at him, he's exhausted and confused..."

He could hear 5 of them talk in a group, arguing and agreeing. Will gulped the water, Clary, the little redhead brought him, and stared at the packet. It said "lays" but Will knew nothing of that name. He took the packet and shook it, and heard a rattling noise inside of it. Some kind of a food packet, he guessed. There were mundane food packets in London too, but they were not quite like these.

"Let me help you," said Simon, who seemed to have lost interest in others' arguments.

Simon took the packet from his hands and tore it open easily. "And now you eat"

"Thank you. Thank you very much."

What was inside were thin layers of fried chips, which explained the name "lays". They tasted salty and ...  they tasted amazing. Will took a handful into his mouth.

"Are you hungry? I'm sorry about everything...happened to you. But no need to worry. Magnus and Alec will take care of this...time..glitch..thing. whatever it is. "

"Thank you. Yes, I hope I can return home safely. Magnus can help me. He has helped me before. We are good friends." Will said taking another handful of chips in.

"All right. I think we should go. I'm taking a cab" It was Alec, and as he said, Will understood that Alec is very authoritative and his voice hold a commanding undertone even though he is shy and quiet by disposition. Will could see why anyone would think he would be a good fit as the consul.

Alec took Will outside the institute and onto the road, after saying goodbye to the others and after feeding Will some proper dinner (more chips and some snacks).

They got into a cab, and Will was too amazed to speak throughout the ride. It was an advanced motor car, and surely they have developed well since the last time Will saw one. He had never been in a motorcar either, because mundane motorcars were still rare back in his time. The ride was quick, less than 30 minutes, and obviously quicker than a horse.

Alec led him into a building and up the staircase and stopped in front of a wooden door.
"Is this Magnus's house?" Asked Will, amused.

"Yes, well, um.. this is our apartment," Alec said and took out a key from his pocket and unlocked the door.

"I am quite confused. Do you share the same house with Magnus?? Does he know that? The Magnus I knew didn't fancy shadowhunters much. At least except me and Jem."

Jem

Where is Jem

"Well, Magnus has changed now... I guess." Said Alec, a slight blush in his cheeks.

"Wait. JEM. Where is Jem? You must know him. he's a silent brother - Brother Zachariah. He-"

"Okay wait," said Alec, calmly. "First things first" he led him into the living room, which was big and had cushioned sofas around. "Take a seat. I'll get Magnus for you."

Alec vanished inside leaving Will with so many questions bothering him. At least Magnus would answer him.