1. A Place In This World

Years after the Kapoors established themselves as the rich, new money family in the country, they found something unexpected

Years after the Kapoors established themselves as the rich, new money family in the country, they found something unexpected. Love. It sustains a person. It gave them hope, that even after everything they've been through, there is happiness, somewhere in their stars.

Ruhaan Kapoor was the founder of the Kapoor hotel chains. He did everything to give his siblings the life they could only have dreamt of. But it only made him neglect his own self. He found love a little too late. But he did, and that changed everything. Mahira was the girl he never liked. She was annoying, he often stated. She never listened and did whatever she liked. He later realized those were the things he loved the most about her.

They bore a son, the eldest, Advait Kapoor. Unlike his father, Advait took no interest in business. He leaned towards humanities. His fascination with history led him to love political science and then, politics. Advait was the youngest elected member of parliament at the moment and he wished to be the youngest chief minister of Maharashtra too.

With the looks of a Vogue model and brains of a New York times editor, he made his mark in the country. He had his problems too. He was often questioned about his motives for gaining power. Does he actually want to do good for the people? A man born in privilege and raised in luxury, what would he know about suffering? He knew enough. His words say so. Even now as he stood in front of atleast seventeen thousand people, his words didn't deter.

"I don't need to go through something to empathize with you all. I know it's tough, I see it with my own eyes, and I can't promise to change it, but only because I don't make empty promises. Though I promise to try. Life is difficult, but with the basic help, we can move forward. I know the biggest problem is water shortage and I also know that my opponent has made promises to uproot that problem. But you tell me, didn't he say the same thing, last time? Isn't that why he won the election? What has he changed?"

The murmers around him satisfied his wicked mind. One way to win was to defeat your opponent. His rally went on for another hour before he walked down the stage towards his car. His campaign manager sat beside him. Her shoulder length hair were pin straight and her saree was pleated to perfection. She was ten years older than him, and she was an old player in politics.

His assistant sat in the front, beside his driver. He was a boy in mid twenties, who was in desperate need of work, and so Advait gave him the opportunity. "Get a water tanker to every street in this slum, every single day, I'll pay for it." Advait looked out the window, waving and smiling at people as his car passed by. His assistant sputtered and his manager almost jumped out of the car. She turned to man she has worked with for the last seven years.

"I think you don't understand Advait, there is an actual shortage of water."

"Then arrange it. Talk to the municipal office, everything is available for a price, cut some costs from the richer people, they hoard on water tanks as it is."