22. My Tears Ricochet

I stare around the empty house, running through every single room I can just to give myself some false hope that she is still here

I stare around the empty house, running through every single room I can just to give myself some false hope that she is still here. I know she isn't. Her bag is gone. And her phone is off.

I ran back here the moment I saw the news. This is exactly why I hate the media and keep her away from it. I didn't kiss that woman. And she didn't kiss me. I was giving a fucking interview, she called me to say something and when I turned around she was just there. It was an accident.

None of us meant for that to happen and the second our lips brushed we both jumped away. But I have such good fate that nobody posted that goddamn video that could prove me innocent. All they posted was the accidental kiss with a hypothetical story about how in love that girl and I are in.

All because it sells.

I move around the house again, this time dialing Naina aunty in hopes that atleast she picks up but that call goes unanswered too. I almost throw away the thing nearest to me before I realize that it's a jar full of cookies.

I stare at the parchment that flutters below it, picking it up with shaking hands. Did she write it? That she is leaving me? Would a single misunderstanding drift us so far away? I open the folded sheets, the creases, fluttering as I do.

Dear Ansh,

You....are the best thing that ever happened to me. I haven't watched your film yet but I am sure it's great. Because you are great. I know your work makes you happy and I know you're worried that you'll lose me if you go back to it. You won't. You will never lose me. I want you Ansh, but I don't want to pull you away from your work. You love your job and I- well I love you. I never said it before, because I was scared. I was scared as a teenager to tell you how strongly I felt for you, and then I just didn't think I'll ever have you.

But I do have you now and I am not scared. You are perfect and I know you'll never hurt me. I just wanted to say that I love you and I am proud of you and so I baked you your favorite cookies.

With love,
Your girlfriend <3

I read it again and again and again. She knew I'll never hurt her. And then I did. Even if it was unintentional, I did hurt her.

I drive around the empty roads, cutting through winds until I reach the Kapoor mansion. I do not care if Advait decides to break my face as well. It's today I understand what Dev felt. I run up the steps and it's Trisha and Advait waiting for me there.

"I could hear your car screeching from a mile away Ansh. It's really late, you should go back." She leans against the door as she speaks. She doesn't look hostile, she simply looks over everything around and then sighs.

"I need to talk to her Trisha. I don't care how late it is."

"I suggest against it Ansh."

"Listen Advait, that's my girlfriend in there. And she is upset. So you can hit me or whatever, but you cannot stop me." Advait rolls his eyes at me.