Sequence 4: Broken Sales

There was something different in the air around Ridgedale. Cole Brody could feel it as he felt the carriage he was in coming to a stop in front of the mansion. The slaves worked hard in fields, with overseers calling out orders. The atmosphere was somewhat gloomy due to the fog being burnt away by the noon sunlight. Despite things looking the same, he couldn't focus on the reason for the sensation.

"Wait here while I go and buy my wench." He mentions to the driver, who nods at him in agreement. After fixing his coat, the man made his way up the porch stairs before opening the door.

"Carmichael! Are you in?" Cole yelled out into the home, hearing nothing but the movement of the house slaves wandering about cleaning. He none too gently grabbed the arm of a young girl who walked by. Taking in her wide, innocent eyes, he gave a slight smirk. Those eyes reminded him so much of Raina that he was only more excited to buy her.

"Where is the master of the house, girl?"

"Gone, Master Brody. Only the mistress is here right now."

He pushed her forward and away from him. "Go fetch her."

The young child ran up the stairs and a few moments later, Ella came out from a back room, her eyes looking displeased to see him. Cole tried to soften up her mood by giving his famous charming grin and removing his hat in greeting but as she came down the staircase in a elegant dark green gown with her nose up in the air, he could she wasn't the least bit effected by his charm.

"Afternoon, Mrs. Carmichael."

"Mr. Brody. I wasn't expecting you this afternoon." Ella responds back, her eyes shifting side to side in confusion. "To what do I owe this visit?"

Chuckling, Cole leans back, putting his hands behind his back, saying, "Let's not pretend, Ella. I'm here to buy my wrench and you know that."

Ella widens her eyes before gesturing for Cole to follow her into the parlor. "Let us talk over tea, shall we?"

"Why, thank you. Where is Thomas? I didn't hear him or see him out on the grounds."

After ordering one of the slaves to fetch some of the hot beverage, Ella made her way to a couch in front of a low table and sat down while Cole did the same to another one across from her. "He's in Georgia to buy more stock for Ridgedale." The mistress of the plantation explained. "He's had to on short notice since so many of our slaves have been sold off or ran away."

Cole grimaced upon hearing that. "I'm sorry for your loss of property."

"We'll prosper eventually. I have no doubt of that."

"Let us hope for that."

After the small talk, silence lingered between the two as the tea was made, and Cole could only assume it was because Ella was uncomfortable without her husband around to settle things. However, Cole only knew he wanted one thing from this visit: Raina. He begins to tap his fingers on his knee impatiently before finally exclaiming, "Well?!"

Ella took a sip of her tea once it was brought to the two of them, her eyes glancing over the side before she finally let him know."

"Raina was one of the slaves sold, Mr. Brody."

This time, the silence was deafening as Cole tried to process what was just told to him. The words in his ears told him that Raina was sold, but it wasn't making sense. Why would the woman he wanted be already gone?

"My ears must be deceiving me. Surely you didn't just say that the wench I wanted is already gone. The wench you promised me, Ella."

Ella slowly lowered her teacup as she kept her gaze on Cole. The absolute in her eyes told him everything, and he shook. "How the hell did this happen? How did-"