Sequence 5-2: Revitalized Rain

Two days later, the morning starts just like usual for Raina, who gets up, cleans up, and dresses before making her way to the kitchen for breakfast time. She expected to see Connor up and on the bottom floor, usually waiting in the kitchen or office area. "Connor? What would you like for breakfast?" she calls out to him. When Raina doesn't hear his response, she walks around the first floor, trying to locate him. "Connor?"

Still no answer, and now she gets a bit confused. It wasn't like him not to inform her where he was or going to be. "I wonder where he is." She whispers. Thinking he might just be outside, she goes to the front door, pulls it open, and exits the house.

Faulkner walks up the stairs just as she comes out in her light yellow dress, tipping his hat to her in greeting. "Morning, Miss Raina."

"Ah, good morning."

Raina waits for Connor's first mate to stop in front of her on the porch, leaning against one of the columns, her eyes still searching for the young captain. She wants to find him, at least, to start her day. Faulkner follows her gaze and then turns all his attention to her.

"The captain wanted me to tell you that he has made his monthly journey to Boston to trade supplies."

The mystery was solved but Raina's lips thin with irritation. "Why didn't he tell me himself, Faulkner? We live in the same house."

Faulkner chuckles, her actions seeming to amuse him, and he puts a hand on Raina's shoulder. "He was in a hurry since a few things were made late." At Raina's nod of understanding, he smiles to give her peace. "No worries, lass. Captain should be back in a day."

That was something Raina would just make do until then. She was grateful that she was even given the message. "I see. Thank you for informing me. I hope you have a great day."

Faulkner tips his hat once more, turning and heading back down the stairs while the young woman walks back into the manor to make breakfast for one.

Raina busied herself all morning, doing chores around the house to ensure that Connor at least came home to a clean home but soon finds herself in her thoughts. She knows why she was irritated earlier. Lately, since meeting everybody at the homestead, Raina has been feeling as if something is missing in her new way of life. She wanted to talk to Connor about this at breakfast, but now that she knows he's gone, she's pretty antsy. To clear her head, Raina decides to take a walk to familiarize herself with the homestead's many pathways.

Sunlight filters through the many cedar and juniper trees scattered throughout the land. Raina takes in a deep breath. Air around her is fresh and pure, prompting repeated deep breaths. One thing that she has noticed is how many different birds and creatures are all around. She hopes Connor will be all right with her exploring even further into the homestead's territory when he returns.

The clearing she's headed towards shows the white church nearest to the manor, and in front of the gate, a man dressed in black and white with a hat on his head. When he looks in her direction, he waves her over in welcome.

"Good morning," she greets him. "I don't believe I have seen your face before."

"Never too late to meet me. I am Father Timothy and I minister here in the homestead. I take it you are our newcomer?"

"Yes."

Father Timothy gives Raina an analyzing gaze, then gestures to the church. "Fancy a chat with me inside? I was just thinking about tidying up."

Raina nods. The two walk up the trail and into the church, where rows of pews line the room alongside an aisle. The minister starts to fix up the pulpit area, cleaning excess wax from the many unlit candles on the various ledges. Raina opts to sit on one of the pews.