The Wedding of Edith and Raphael(2)

In the summer of 1789, a village boy, who had grown up with Edith, returned from the town, waving his arms triumphantly as he galloped on a speeding horse

In the summer of 1789, a village boy, who had grown up with Edith, returned from the town, waving his arms triumphantly as he galloped on a speeding horse. "Folks! Folks! The people of Paris have stormed the Bastille!"

He tossed his hat into the air, laughing joyously, and rode his horse into every corner of the village, spreading the news.

Edith dropped her farm work and rushed into the Saint-Clemont Castle, embracing Raphael around the neck. By then, he had already inherited the title from his deceased father.

"The city and the countryside, all are celebrating," she exclaimed with abandon. "This is a moment that changes history!"

"Is that so?" Raphael was somewhat puzzled by her words, but still infected by her happiness, smiling as he gently caressed her disheveled hair.

"Why don't we celebrate in your castle, dear Raphael?" Edith's eyes sparkled with excitement.

"Here?" Raphael hesitated; he was unsure if he belonged to the revelry, but he knew his father would never have done such a thing.

However, he would never go against her words.

As the day neared sunset, the villagers gathered on the grassy land in front of the castle, their faces filled with surprise and curiosity.

Most of them had never imagined that the young count would not only enthusiastically participate but also personally invite everyone to this place to host the festivities. After all, the previous old lord, while not a tyrant, was hardly known for his liberal ideas.

Therefore, everyone eagerly awaited, anxious to see up close the appearance of this new-fashioned young count.

"Everyone take your seats! Today, there is no high or low. All shall follow their hearts' desires!" Raphael leaned out of a high window, cupping his hands around his mouth, and cheerfully called out to the crowd below.

Then, he descended the stairs with swift steps and joined the villagers in their midst.

At first, there was still some restraint in the air at this special banquet. Some of the elderly folks still held awe for the lord, not daring to engage in direct conversation with Raphael; while some rebellious young men still harboured a certain wary hostility towards Raphael due to his status.

However, much of this hostility dissipated when Charlene appeared. Seeing this young and fragile Countess sitting in her wheelchair, personally attending to the guests without any airs, and wearing a humble and serene smile that they had only seen on the statue of Virgin Mary, the peasants were all visibly moved.

As the feast was in full swing, Raphael suddenly stood up from his seat. He appeared somewhat sheepish and awkward, yet unable to conceal his pride. With a resounding voice, he announced a piece of news to everyone present: "Edith Travis is already married to me."