Chapter 1: The Talk

[Author's Note: I will no longer use VEED.IO since there's been issues going on with it behind the screen. Enjoy the chapter though due to this change. In the future, I'll find another audio software like VEED.IO till then.]

I held my breath for as long as possible, letting the lukewarm water brush against my skin. This tight feeling in my chest grows each second my body floats. The deep sound of bubbles prevents my ears from hearing any other sound in the ocean. I open my eyes, finding myself surrounded by the ocean of all its blue atmosphere. An ocean without its wonderful sea animals made it appear naked.

Above me, a bright white light radiates through the surface. Lifting my head, I circulate my arms to swim out of the ocean and move toward the light. My legs kick each second I reach closer to the surface.

My eyes open to the streams of rain pounding lightly against the head of the car. Immediately, I checked for reality when I touched my green jacket and legs. They were no longer wet. There goes my day of crawling back into my head, dreaming away. Although, being awakened to the rain's sound isn't too bad.

I turn to the grayish sky, leaning closer to the car window to observe it. Water trickled down from the sky like fairy dust, drenching my Dad's car. Watching the rain is a pleasant sight to close my eyes and listen to the rhythmic sound. I placed my hand on the glass window, closing my eyes to do that. Speaking of sound, there weren't those light beats that typically come from the rain.

Opening my eyes, a few thin raindrops halted, leaving tiny drops sticking against the glass. I shifted my eyes from the raindrops and focused on the fast-moving cars passing by on the road. The traffic light stayed on red, but in another direction, cars were zooming through. As the light switched to green, Dad drove in a straight line with the other cars beside us.

"Honey, are you okay over there?" Dad asked. "Were you dreaming? I'm sorry, I bothered—"

"No, Dad," I told him, cutting him off. I turned my face away from the car window and met his eyes. "It's okay. You did not bother me."

"Okay," he said, a smile forming on his lips. "Good. What was your dream about?"

I exhaled, my nose pushing air out. "I found myself floating in the ocean, alone in the dark. I opened my eyes first and saw this light shining through the surface. And the next thing I know, I'm swimming towards it."

"Oh, really?" Dad asked, curious to hear more.

"Yes," I said, nodding my head. "I am not sure about the meaning behind it. But you know how dreams are. It's whatever."

Dad's eyes widen, surprised at my answer. "Linda, you do not need to say that!"

I chuckle a little, smiling at Dad's sudden interest in my dream.

"Maybe God's giving you a message," he stated, interpreting the dream. "Like His light drawn you out of the darkness. Maybe God's telling you that He is right there."

Hearing his interpretation, I won't say he is right or wrong. My dream could mean any other thing than God involved. How can I break that to him without sounding offensive or putting down his interpretation? A light bulb flickered in me—now I have something to say.

"Dad, you are half right. But it can mean anything else."

"That's alright, Linda," he replied. "Honey, you can believe your interpretation of your dream. Don't worry about mine, but God giving us dreams is scripture."

I thought of the story of Joseph confirming it—a story in the Bible where he had dreams of saving Egypt from drought. Dad isn't wrong about that. Sometimes, having dreams doesn't have to be from God.