Chapter 4

Autumn leaves whisked away by the wind as the sun started shining brighter than ever. People on the streets murmured and complained of the blasting heat though it's Autumn. Everyone wore light clothes, not being able to bear the heat in any other apparel.

But there was always one person, who took formal as a life and death matter. The man was wearing a formal attire, in his black suit and tie some would think he's going to funeral.

Some looked at him out of curiosity while some in admiration. But he never gave a glance to them as he rounded the corner and entered the abandoned building which is was a headquarters, only visible to those who have abilities that only few have.

As he entered the headquarters, murmured and voices filled around him. Some stopped to greet him while some just stared at him in fear. After all, he owned this place. He's the reason this place is still surviving even though some parts are falling apart.

"Mr. Alexander," One of the men working behind computers, stood up and greeted.

"How are things with that girl?" Mr. Alexander asked, his voice stiff and firm.

"She's still hesitant. She doesn't believe what Conrad told her. He had requested to talk with you regarding this. He's in the weapons room but I can call him to-"

"There's no need. I'll go see him myself," Mr. Alexander said before leaving the man and walking towards the stairs leading to the second floor.

The headquarters was huge and fancy. Rich may not even be the correct word to describe the headquarters as every hall and room had huge glass chandeliers on the ceiling and the latest technology devices on which people were working.

Mr. Alexander walked down the hall towards the weapons room which was filled with trainers and the new mediums. He spotted Conrad training a guy who couldn't even properly hold the rune in his hand.

Maybe I shouldn't have chosen him. Thought Mr. Alexander, grimly.

"Sir," Conrad said, as he straightened up.

"What's with the girl?" Mr. Alexander asked, I his formal and serious tone.

Conrad looked a bit hesitant, stepping away from the medium whom he was training.

"She isn't sure about this. Doesn't believe what I told her. She said she needs time to think about it all and will give her final answer then,"

"So? We don't have time for this! The time she gives her answer the Society would already be completely dead!" His voice grew louder as everyone else fell silent. Fear and dread slowly started building in the atmosphere in the room.

"You know right what'll happen if you don't follow my commands?" Mr. Alexander said in a low voice as he took a step towards Conrad.

Something shifted in Conrad's eyes . Instead being feared like the others in the room, he appeared more in anger and rage.

"Yes, sir. I'll get her here in 2 days," Conrad spoke, his voice steady and stiff.

"No. You're going to get her here by tomorrow. You understand?"

"Yes sir," That was all Mr. Alexander heard from him before turning away and walking out of the room.

As he started heading towards the main room, for a meeting, his phone went off. He stopped outside the room as he took the call.

"Alexander, how are you?" The person on the other side spoke.

"Cut to the chase. I know for a fact you don't go around calling people like this," Mr. Alexander replied, irritated.

"Alex...Alex..and Alex," The person start singing his name like it's a lullaby. "You know what I want."

For the first time in Alexander's life, he felt the fear mixed with an unknown chill that went down his spine. He knew that the way the person said the later, it's serious and possibly a threat too.

"I just called to give you a deadline since you're taking way too much time then you should," There was something in the way the person spoke, demanding and threatening.

"I told you. You-"

The doors of the room opened as a man walked through it, holding a clipboard and bunch of papers.

"Sir, the meeting has already started. They are requesting you to come immediately," The man said.

"2 weeks more. That's it. You know what's at stake, Alex." The person on the call hung up as Mr. Alexander gripped the phone tightly in his palm

He let out a frustrated sigh before taking a few deep breaths and walking through the doors of the main room to join the meeting.

                                            ◇◇◇

Conrad swung the sword down with more force than he should. The sound of swords clashing filled the room. He backed up, letting the sword drop on the floor.

"I really don't think I should spare with you right now. God bless me, I have the ability to defend myself with a sword or you would've already chopped me into half," Aaron mumbled as bent down, catching his breath.

"Aaron, don't be dramatic. You know I wouldn't let that happen," Conrad replied while rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, but you are different when you are angry. What happened?" Aaron asked while passing a bottle of water of Conrad.

"Nothing,"

"Nothing my ass," Aaron muttered under his breath.

"You need to focus more on improving your sword skills than my personal life," said Conrad with a hint of annoyance.

"Is it the girl?" Aaron asked, curiously.

"What girl?"

"You know, the girl from your last task. I heard a rumor that she's damn pretty," Aaron smirked when he noticed he had hit a nerve.

"It's not your task. Henceforth, none of your business," Conrad remarked.

"Yeah, yeah but I am your buddy and so....tell me what happened?"

"I have get her to join the Society in two days and I already would have completed the task if only she wasn't so stubborn and hesitant," Conrad sat down on the bench as Aaron looked deep in thought for a while.

"Okay, but what will you do if she rejects the offer?" Aaron asked.

"Use my abilities. Manipulate her thoughts," Conrad replied, nonchalantly.

"You're kidding right?" Aaron wait for him to answer but his silence confirmed it.

"She has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!" Aaron shouted but Conrad just looked at him with a tired look before speaking up.

"I don't care."